PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This one's interesting- I have a niece being married in September in Oxford Mississippi. We'll fly there before the start of a three week vacation in Italy...with frequent detours to some great Italian pipe shops...But I digress...We'll be going to an outdoor rehearsal dinner at a church featuring a Low-Country Boil (Crabs, Crawfish, Shrimp, etc)...and my sister actually suggested I bring some pipes and tobacco to offer some alternatives to the several boxes of cigars that will be there...I'm leaning toward taking a half dozen MM Cobs...and a couple of my briar pipes...What tobacco would you guys suggest? I'm partial to flakes, but the idea of helping 5 newbies light up a flake and keep it going is exhausting...So...something simple...nice note for the outdoors...and a good smoke for a cob...any suggestions?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
For anyone new to smoking there is always the old standby of 1Q, it's cheap and you can get it in bulk, but if your having crabs, craw-fish and shrimp you could always go with Frog Morton On the Bayou. Overall I assume someone who knows more than me, roth, the old cajun, Kashmir, ect. will chime in and help you more than I can, but good luck and remember 1Q is always a good starter blend with a good room note.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep...Figured the LL 1Q would be a top contender...may get some Frog Morton, just because I've been wanting to try it...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep...I'll throw in a box of matches and some golf tees for tampers...Trying to keep it simple...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Maybe a simple burley? MacB Burley London is fine stuff, and you can get it bulk for a reasonable price.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
get cobs (grab-bag of 10 might be the way to go) and a tub of carter hall and a tub of sugar barrel.. a big box of strike anywhere matches and a huge pile of cleaners and a handful of long golf tee's. I would skip loaning out briars

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
My opinion might be different. If you are a pipe evangelist, I'd get some baggies and give them something like P & W's Rumcake, that IMO tastes a whole lot better than 1Q.
No matter what you choose, consider that you may want to spread it out on a table the night before to dry it some, or you'll be giving exhaustive tech support about, "Why do I have to keep relighting this stuff?"

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Great advice guys! It will be a little crazy- we'll be travelling for three weeks. We take off from Sarasota to Oxford, Ms. on the Sept 13th- I'll drop my cobs and tobacco at the rehearsal dinner. Then we're off to Italy on the 16th- I'll be carrying a couple of pipes to show my briar supplier along with some hard to find tins to swap for some of his special stash of briar...and then we fly back to Monterey, Ca on Oct.2 for my son's graduation from the Air Force Mandarin Chinese school he's graduating from where I'll be giving him a couple of nice pipes and some good tins of flake...and I'll do it all with one carry on bag....Takes more planning than a Space Shuttle launch...(only possible because we travel light and buy clothes and more luggage after we get there...)REALLY hoping I find some good estate pipes in some of the shops while we're in Italy...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Zack, I think you should buy a few tins of Petersons Irish flake and cube cut them all for easy smoking, Then watch as all the pipe guys puke all over themselves because of the nicotine content. You cannot pay for that kind of entertainment. Yes I am a mean prick, lol.
On another note, we need to get Brutus and Dolce together for another play day soon. You should have seen how Brutus was whining when she left, he really missed her.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'd get some baggies and give them something like P & W's Rumcake
+1
I think all of the suggestions are good ones, but I would lean towards a mild aro and 1Q fits that bill, but rumcake will turn them into pipe smokers!

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Never had 1Q, but the guys above may be right with that suggestion.
If it were me, I'd get plenty of cobs like you said, then a few tins of Key Largo and Haddo's Delight each. KL has maduro cigar leaf, so it'll blend well w/ all the cigars around. HD is just amazing, and sweet enough to please a non or non-frequent smoker. Very full flavor so people won't be burning their tongues trying to taste it, and it's shag cut so easy to pack and burn!
:puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Great suggestions all...leave it to Harris to go for the maximum entertainment value...:)

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
When do you need to make your decision by? (Also, I agree that I'd do Cobs only....lending out briars can be painful when it's one on one and you're sitting next to the other guy coaching the whole time. I can't image the worry that'd be cause knowing a few of your briars are 'out there' being 'smoked' by others!)

Status
Not open for further replies.