PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Communion involves ingesting alcohol and praying, so how could smoking be any worse?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Depends on the culture. I would argue smoking while praying is mandatory.
edit: The intent while smoking is the important factor.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Depends on one's faith I suppose. I would think praying is considered favorable to not praying whether you are smoking or not; in a box, with a fox; in a house, with a mouse; you can pray here or there, you can pray anywhere. (apologies to Dr. Suess)

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
I assume praying with pipe in hand is just fine if you believe in ghosts and talk to make believe people.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Many religions, Catholicism, Judaism, many Native American tribes, believe that smoke, incense, and the like are an aid to prayer. I concur! Especially concerning meditative prayer!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Last year I met with a friend every single Thursday night for pipes and prayer, they are perfectly complimentary in my opinion. I suppose it could be uncouth to turn up to a prayer meeting puffing a potent lat bomb in a chimney, like anything else context is relevant.
Isaac

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Nothing to do with one another if the question is in a Christian Context. Prayer is prayer and smoking is smoking. One could eat, walk, fish, smoke, whatever, but there is no where in the Bible where praying is conflated with any other activity. The Lord's Supper/Communion is an act, not a prayer. An act of remberance. Paul said to pray continiously so it would seem that you could/would pray while doing most anything. But prayer is separate and distinct from the most anything

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I think it's a natural combination. Smoking a pipe is often contemplative and prayer in most contexts is as well.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well I was taught you could talk to the man upstairs anytime anyplace. I'm sure he won't mind if your smoking a pipe at the same time.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Depends on the setting a culture, you probably wouldn't want to smoke your pipe in the pews or during Mass by the Pope himself but in your own home or a private setting.....

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
As long as your 'friends'pipe is not carved from human bone,he/she/they should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.