PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Can I carry-on my pipes and a lighter on an airplane? I have flown many times, but not since I began smoking again. I've been searching the Internet for the answer, but of course, being the Internet as it is, I'm getting conflicting answers. Thanks in advance!

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I fly with only a carry on when I travel so I can speak to that very well.
1. You can take your pipes with you no problem in a carry on bag or suitcase. Doesn't matter which.
2. Lighters are sketchy. Some TSA agents allow them and some don't. I think it's because not everyone is clear on their ridiculous rules and they change all the time. You can go to the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items) and you'll find that common lighters with fuel in them are NOT allowed. Torch lighters are simply not allowed period. Scroll down to the "Flamable Items" section and you'll see what I'm talking about. Don't bring yours.
3. Usually the rule of thumb when dealing with the TSA is that if they don't want you to have it in your carry on, they'll either let you take it in your suitcase or force you to mail it home. When in doubt simply don't bring it because they'll force you out of line to go and mail things home. Not everybody has the money or time to do that when they want you to. I've had to forfeit items at the counter because I was going to miss my flight before. Bring the pipes, skip the lighter. I hope this helps.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Pipes are allowed.
Torch lighters are prohibited.
Non-torch lighters are allowed - but ONLY in carry-ons. Not checked luggage.
It's silly. I have a butane fuelled pipe lighter that yields a soft flame. I literally lit it at the security checkpoint, they looked at the flame and said "ok."
This information is based on flights I took two weeks ago.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
No torch , no matches in checked luggage but - technically a bic lighter , or a zippo can be in a carry on but not checked . Any lighter with fuel can be removed from your carry on. The problem is you can't just pull up the website at security and say this is the regulation since the TSA agent may be operating under temporary unpublished orders to increase security . So I would not bring or check any lighter you do not want to lose. If they don't allow it even if it is not in the published regulation they can stop you from getting through. You have the right to file a complaint but you are still not getting on the plane .
TSA Link

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've just flown inside Europe so perhaps slightly different but we have a limit of only one lighter. I had no problem with carrying a pipe and tobacco in hand luggage. At CDG Paris they've even got inside smoking rooms where you can enjoy a pipe once you've checked in whilst waiting to fly, very civilised.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I've flown with my little pipe bag before, into which I put two pipes, a tin of tobacco, pipe cleaners, a tamper, and a Bic. I usually don't like Bics, but on the off-chance that I get hassled by TSA, I'm fine with just tossing it. I haven't had to yet.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Never had any issues flying around EMEA or one trip to the US.
Often had a lighter confiscated in the States in my pre-pipe days, but usually had a couple more that were never taken stashed somewhere in my bags.
What surprises me is that I've never had a pipe tool picked up on and looked at. It's essentially a two inch metal spike that's easy to use as a makeshift weapon.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I fly between Akron and Orlando fairly regularly. I never have any problem in Akron, it's like flying out of your mom's best friend's airport. In Orlando, I believe I've gotten stick matches through in carry and my Zippo pipe lighter always gets through but got a good once over by a TSA agent one time. I must be in the minority, those TSA agents are always pretty decent to me. They have an impossible job and are like NFL referees, can't please everyone no matter what they do. Off to Cocoa Beach via Akron and Orlando tomorrow morning as a matter of fact.
Mike S.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I travelled with my pipes in September I put them in my carry on and left my Czech tool in my checked luggage. I just used matches when I got there. I wouldn't want to chance losing my Corona Old Boy lighter. Everything went perfectly fine.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
When going to pipe shows and traveling for pleasure (ha ha, at the airport really!) I carry 5-10 pipes and tobacco without any problems. No lighters because I don't want to loose them. I always have 10-15 small boxes of wood matches and never have had any problem. Weird isn't it. Matches ok, lighters no so much.
Richard

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
I have been flying inside the EU as well as in the USA and never had a problem with a BIC Djeep or a Zippo. I would say leave your fancy lighter at home!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
At both Sea-Tac and Denver International, the convenience stores on the concourses carry Zippo lighters, with big placards stating that TSA regulations allow ONE Zippo in one's carry-on luggage (the implication, of course, being that you should buy one...).
At any rate, I've flown several times over the last 2 years with a pipe bag in my carry on containing 2 pipes, 2 pouches of tobacco, one book of safety matches, my Zippo, 2 pipe tools, and a selection of pipe cleaners. All have gone through X-Ray, and not one eyebrow has been raised so far. Airports have included both DIA and Sea-Tac (several times) as well as Newark Liberty and Louis Armstrong in NOLA.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In recent flying, pipes and tobacco, and matches, in carry-on have not been a problem. My harmonica

was examined as a possible pistol clip. I should have punished them with a lively tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.