PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The principle of diminishing returns, from economics, says that if you own only one shirt and you buy or are given a second, it makes the original shirt half as valuable to you. You can set some arbitrary minimum that serves your shirt purposes, five or six, but after that, each shirt you add makes every other shirt less critical and important to your shirt purposes. Does this apply to pipes, at any point? Emotionally, it seems any number isn't quite enough. Fifteen pipes are enough, but you are still happy with all your pipes and with acquiring more when you hit thirty, and fifty, and sixty, it seems. But since you only smoke a certain number of times a day -- maybe many, maybe few -- you smoke each pipe less the more pipes you have. Tobacco pipes and diminishing returns, does the principle apply? My guess is, practically yes, but psychologically no, or only at a rather high level for many of us. What do you think?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've been through this with music. Ultimately my tastes return to a few favorites that are both unique and functional, meaning they express something of relevance. In the same way, with pipes, I made a decision not to stockpile a whole bunch but instead to focus on good everyday smokers for grab 'n' go enjoyment.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I tend to stay around 50 to 60 pipes, I buy occasionally but I also cull them regularly. I have a group of 20 or so pipes I'll never sell, but the rest of them tend to get replaced as I my collection focus changes or I get better examples of what I already like.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The wife informed me today that I'm north of 100 not counting what hasn't arrived/picked up yet. I've got to thin the herd and my local antique shop wanted some estates so that helps. I'm trying to concentrate on Pete's and Grabow's . That said, I've got maybe two dozen that I smoke regularly. I've got some unsmoked estates and a few new unsmoked but the allure of finding that next oddity or old collectable is irresistible to me.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I agree, I think less is more. And, I only have 5 pipes. I may get a few more eventually but I can't see myself ever owning more than 10 pipes, and it's probably not likely I'll have more that 7.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I justify the price of enjoyment like this: If I purchase a new Blu-ray (film is another obsession of mine) for, say, $20, but the hours of pleasure are equal to the hours it cost to pay for said item, then it's a win. So, if a single pipe (or other treasure) can supply years of bliss, it's a win-win!
A classic movie, cup of joe, and fresh blend... heaven on earth ― and well worth the investment.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IIRC, the law of diminishing returns isn't arithmetic in most cases. Certainly not for me with shirts or pipes. I have more than I need in either case, and would feel uncomfortable if I had fewer than a dozen shirts or about that many pipes. But I have way more than that, and don't think about what one more pipe will do, cost or pleasure wise. If it's a must have, it's a must have. I've never culled, but I will start that sometime before long. Shirts? I doubt I'll ever buy another, but as the ones I have wear down, gifts seem to keep the supply building .

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
18 pipes (not including 3 cobs). Every pipe I've bought/been given has remained important and valuable to me. One of the aspects of my smoking experience can actually come from thinking about how I got the pipe; as well as the history if it's an older pipe. Each pipe I own has some sort of sentiment attached with it. Whether it be when/where I picked it up, who I met when I got it, who gifted it to me, or the memories made while smoking it; they will always hold a place.
I actually thought of the significance of a pipe the other day. It's a Dr. Grabow Rusticated Regal Lovat. It was purchased for me along with a DG Sculptura from an antique store. Something about smoking it that particular evening brought back memories, even from over 5 years ago! Smoking with my neighbor who got me started, my friend smoking out of it some, me making him give it back, the process of learning with it when it went sour, rebuilding it back to glory, and even recent memories of smoking it while playing with my niece. This has always been my "main" pipe and is for smoking Admirals Choice Vanilla Cavendish. To begin to detail the full flashback experience would require a lot more typing with that one. My DG Regal isn't the only one with sentiment attached just a prime example.

Regardless of how many I own, the sentiment is my value. That is pretty consistent. The new Savinelli Saint Nicholas out performs it, and only has the sentiment of it being an early Christmas present so far. Has not changed my opinions on any of my pipes. They all have their value in their own right.
Though I suppose it could apply for some. It really depends on the person and how they interpret value. Say someone had a a pipe that didn't smoke so well, but kept it in rotation. Then, along comes a the same pipe that smokes better. If there are no other factors other than the purpose of the pipe, of course the one better serving the purpose will make the former less useful, therefore less valued. However, the opposite can be said. A new pipe comes in, and fails to outshine the others. The original pipe would keep it's value and purpose. So the original pipe may have actually GAINED in value because it performed better than the new. Whether it be psychological or in function...there are so many variables it's hard to place certainty here. Everything is different, one way or another. I know my new black t-shirts don't fit right...even though it's the brand and size I always get :D
Hopefully I typed that all out correctly and it flows. Have been interrupted a dozen times. As always, mso489 bringing a thinker to the table.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My pipes are seasonal. Each set goes through a rotation every four months. My Weavers are my weekend pipes, so they see the most use.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have more pipes than I need but fewer than I would like to have. I rarely buy a pipe these days. Pipes get better with use. If you have enough pipes to let one rest 3 or so days, that's all you need, right? Too many pipes may mean diminished use but diminished return, hardly. A pipe is a beautiful thing, and I only need one more to be happy!

Mike S.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
They (pipes) certainly obey this law in terms of price. In that a $200 pipe doesn't perform twice as well as a $100pipe. This does not mean it wasn't worth $200. Blah, blah... We've all discussed this before.
I would say that 10 pipes is 10x more valuable than 1 pipe, everything being equal. In a real stretch you could say that 10 pipes is more than 10x more valuable than one in that each gets used less but only in the limit that they don't get used at all. .....
Which brings me to shoes. I often tell my wife that if she can identify which pair I've hidden, she can buy a new pair. While this challenge is never accepted and shoes get bought regardless, I suppose that test may apply to your pipe collection. So be very careful!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tyler- A thoughtful essay and I think it captures much of how I approach it. Now, how does buying a rack of 12 Comoys at the West Coast Pipe Show fit in with that? Not real well, I admit, but I do occasionally make impulse purchases. But the most special pipes I use have a person or place or an achievement connected with their acquisition.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Now, how does buying a rack of 12 Comoys at the West Coast Pipe Show fit in with that?
Smoke one, guarantee you'll be able to think of the pipe show :) Besides, having that rack of pipes allows you to smoke a different one every month! "This is my December Comoys"

Dec 24, 2012
Numerous scientific study agree that one's enjoyment of a new pipes begins to diminish once you hit 1200-1400 pipes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The pipe community is an ecosystem. People serve different roles. Some drive pipe innovation with their need for novelty and elegance. Long live the $4000 pipe.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
When taking up the hobby in the spring I bought a few on ebay just because they looked nice and were inexpensive. Out of the few, 6, I bought I really like 2 and don't care about the others.

I have bought 4 online and one in a BM for a grand total of 11. Out of them I only smoke 4. I've learned to be patient and buy a pipe I really like rather than just because it looks ok and is cheap.
I'd like to have no more than 10 pipes, that I really like, which would be in a regular smoking rotation.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My nose continues to grow longer...
I said that I would stop at 60 pipes, which seemed to many really. Now, my collection approaches 70 and I bought three this month. In the past two years, I have narrowed the search to special pieces, either to upgrade a pipe I have or fill a spot in my Holy Grail list (which is down to single digits). I do try to ascribe to the "buy one, have to sell one" philosophy but it is getting harder to let something go.

Status
Not open for further replies.