PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I had always liked Pipes And Cigars and ordered from them in the past with no issues, other than packing in a few cases could have been a bit better. But for the most part I had been pleased with doing business with them. But I haven't ordered from them since before the Update-ageddon they went through a while back that seemed to have caused them and some customers some long term grief. Not that I didn't want to, mind you, but I was hearing so many horror stories I opted to shop elsewhere. I did however trust Russ Ouellette's word that things were getting fixed. I had chatted with him a few times in the past, and he strikes me as a stand up guy. When he said they were trying to get things fixed, I believed him. And I generally hoped they would, and I planned on doing business with them again in the future. I just chose to wait until things were better. So fast forward to tonight. The amount of complaints seems to have slowed from a raging rapids to a gentle stream... or maybe a trickle. It's actually been a while since I've heard anything negative other than back order or out of stock issues. Therefore, because things seem to be much better, (and because I really wanted the 2018 Pipes And Cigars Calendar that's out now by the way... free with orders over 49.00)I decided to try them once more, with mainly just a few tins of various tobaccos and a couple cobs and cleaners. A few things are for me and a few things for my brother in law as an early Christmas/Thanksgiving present if it arrives in time. If not, well it will be part of his regular Christmas present. He wanted me to carve him a pipe, so it's just a few things to go with that. Plus a cob... one is for me. I'm going to pick the best one for him... or myself. I might just keep both cobs... Gah! I'll give him the best cob! Well enough of that. I'm just saying I'm testing the waters with P&C again because I really hope things are back to normal, so wish me luck. Oh! And they have gift cards with orders over 50.00, 75.00, and 100.00 dollars right now. Just a heads up :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I ordered a few pounds of Luxury Twist Flake from them last month with no issues.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Check this thread, scroll down to near the end. Not good news...
https://thebriarpatchforum.com/thread/2248/stock-issues

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I ordered from P&C on 25th of September and it was delivered to the US address (Delaware) on 26th of September. It was a very small order, 2 MM cobs, some pipe bits and a horseshoe nail tamper, received a 20% discount, free delivery and $20 gift card. What else can a pipe smoker ask for?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have had great service from P&C. Even the backordered items were shipped promptly as they came into stock (i.e., nothing on old invoices was overlooked).
P&C's greatest strength is Russ Ouellette. I hope the company realizes that he's worth his weight in gold.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Wall of text 1

Mobile device 0
I recently ordered a bunkers-worth of 3p’s, IF and few others and the transaction couldn’t have been smoother. In fact, my shipment arrived a day early and the contents were packaged Tetris-like with nary a dent. 10/10 would reorder.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks for the kind comments on your recent experiences. We continue to work on improving packaging, efficiency, and speed. We're addressing some internal issues that should make shopping with us even better. We appreciate getting the opportunity to serve you and thank everyone who stuck with us or gave us the chance to win you back.
Russ

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's actually been a while since I've heard anything negative other than back order or out of stock issues.
Same here. Seems like the packaging issue is under control, which was the main concern of many of us who had received boxes with tins thrown loosely in them, resulting in dented and leaky tins. From what I can see, someone at P&C took some bold steps and now everything is cocooned in bubble wrap and braced with those inflatable collision bumper things.
I have had good results with SPC and P&C over the past year, and those are the two site sponsors that I recommend heartily to others.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
From what I can see, someone at P&C took some bold steps and now everything is cocooned in bubble wrap and braced with those inflatable collision bumper things.
We had some new people promoted in the warehouse, so I approached them a few months back to raise customer concerns to them. These folks were very responsive and made positive changes immediately. Now, the major issues with packages seem to be damage from UPS/USPS.
Russ

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Now, the major issues with packages seem to be damage from UPS/USPS.
I have noticed the same in entirely unrelated shipments. Many UPS deliveries do "last mile" through USPS, and local delivery quality varies widely, especially when regular postal workers go on vacation. Last P&C order arrived with one ding in the outside from the USPS Regional Package Football Game, but owing to the puffy things and the bubble wrap, the vital contents (Royal Yacht, of course) were not even dinged. I'm raising a glass of bilgy PG tips tea to your warehouse staff.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Russ.
I've got no issues with P&C. I will certainly be ordering with them again soon.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
From my myriad dealings with P&C both as a customer and business partner, I can tell you that STG and it's customers would be in a much, much better place if Russ was running things.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I can tell you that STG and it's customers would be in a much, much better place if Russ was running things.
I seriously doubt that, and I can tell you that it wouldn't be better for me. I have enough work on my plate.
Russ

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I agree, Russ is the only reason I even look at the site now. He saved my UPS/USPS orders from oblivion. I am not a big buyer, but he still made things work. Thank you Russ. I do hope that things work out for the company.

My biggest issue is the out of stock and back order situation. That just can't be good for business. Just in time stock levels are fine, IF they are just in time. Otherwise, customers look elsewhere and find what they want on the shelf at other places.
As a note, I just pay the extra to have things shipped USPS. The UPS hand off does not work for me, the local UPS store is a failure at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.