PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Is it me or has pipesandcigars been out of stock on much of their pipe tobacco? 9 out of 10 tinned tobaccos I searched for earlier was out-of-stock or on backorder. It's been this way for weeks if not months. I placed an order on p&c about 3 weeks ago for tobacco which included tins that I knew were on backorder, assuming they'd get a shipment within 2-3 weeks. I wrote asking when they thought those 2 particular GL Pease blends would come in. The response was that they "do not have a reliable ETA at this time". Is this some indication of a troubled business? - Perhaps in light of impending changes in tobacco laws? Anyone else notice how thin the stock is over at p&c?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. As I recall, there was no definitive answer. It was worse then than now.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the info, Jack. I guess I'll have to take my business elsewhere for the time being.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My guess is that with all the various promotions, they sold a shit load if tobacco over the past few months. Restocking is slower, what with all the new blends bottlenecking production.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
They might be keeping their inventory low for tax purposes until the calendar or fiscal year turns over.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have noticed that. They sent me a $20 gift card and I could hardly find something I wanted to get. Thanks for the gift card P&C. I really do appreciate it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Every pipe/tobacco business must be positioning themselves as well as possible for the new regs. If you can find what you want at PC in stock, now might be a good time to buy, to support them. I was at my independent shop talking to the owner/proprietor who I've known for almost 40 years. He was especially frustrated that nothing is being made clear. He presumes he won't be able to do any blends on site, etc. etc., but the worst is that nothing is being made clear, so he's hanging out to dry. For a small business (which PC, though larger is) this is a death by a thousand cuts, or feels that way. Iwan Ries with so many blends that go back to the 1950's or further, things might be somewhat easier, but this still gouges their inventory. Direct whatever good feelings you can to all of these businesses. If you're worried, it's their livelihood as well as their pleasure.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I thought Pennsylvania passed a new tax on inventory, so retailers were keeping inventories low until the new year. Maybe someone with better info could fill us in.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'd like to support p&c as much as possible but it's hard to do so when they don't have anything I want in stock - and that's at least 10 different blends. Fingers crossed that they'll restock their inventory soon so I can do the same with my cellar and give them some business in the process. Practicing patience and keeping my TAD in check for the time being.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
As far as the inventory tax, believe stores had to take inventory on iirc Oct 1 and pay tax on the current stock. I suspect they couldn't have anything

on order then either, but that is just speculation on my part. Low inventory does seem to be the online store business model over the past several years.
Mike S.

Jun 27, 2016
If you can make up an order on in-stock and back-ordered items, you pay and then they ship the in-stock stuff, and then the B.O. stuff when/as it gets there. I've had up to three boxes at three different times arrive from one discounted order. The shipping was free since the original order qualified. Can't say how they handle that if you don't have free shipping to begin with.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I just tried to take advantage of their 15% off sale but every blend I wanted to buy was out of stock. So I passed.
Was looking at GL Pease.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I've just decided to patronize smokingpipesa and 4noggins. I've been rubbed the wrong way too many times with P&C as of late. Still to this day awaiting backordered items from July too...

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I thought Pennsylvania passed a new tax on inventory, so retailers were keeping inventories low until the new year. Maybe someone with better info could fill us in.
That was certainly a part of the issue as we had to pay a floor tax on everything in the warehouse. Also, some of the manufacturers have been so slammed with trying to get new products to market before the August 8th cutoff that some of their manufacturing has lagged. We are actively working to get everything back in stock and apologize for any inconvenience.
Russ

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
we had to pay a floor tax on everything in the warehouse
That's the way it is in Canada. Once a product is made tax is due, that kind of stupidity has sent Imperial Tobacco to Mexico, taxes are due once the product arrives in Canada.

Thanks for the clarification Russ.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've just decided to patronize smokingpipesa and 4noggins. I've been rubbed the wrong way too many times with P&C as of late. Still to this day awaiting backordered items from July too...
+1

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@bigpond - I feel your pain. I was hoping to take advantage of the "deal" today but, as previously stated, none of the tobacco I want is in stock. Surprise!

@jacks6 - Waiting on an order from July? I'm starting to feel like I need to take my business elsewhere. Not sure I want to wait until March (or later) for items I ordered earlier in the month.

mrbaho

Lurker
Sep 11, 2015
With 4Noggins recent political rant on Facebook, it will be a cold day in hell before I purchase from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.