PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
So to start off I continue to buy pipe tobacco from this company as they are rather excellent for that however as for their pipe sales, I am not sure if they should be selling pipes. This is the www.PipesandCigars.com company to be clear. I almost did not post this, but then I decided to anyway because of how bad the situation was.
The first pipe I recieved (Antique Shell Savinelli 606) had a cracked shank and came in an inner box with no packing material inside it at all. They give me a prepaid shipping label and I send it off. A week goes by with no responce (I am 1 day shipping from them via priority USPS shipping). I email, several more days goes by without a responce. I call, then I am assured someone is working on it and they are probabley dealing with shipping insurance.
A couple days later, I have a new Antique Shell Pipe, still no packing material in the inner box and inches of free movement on all sides (even though I asked) with a heavily cracked bowl (several cracks) in it (even though I asked for it to be inspected). I email, the responce to my email is something like "well if you wanted it to come unbroken you should have requested an inspection." Quite rude! So I send an angry email back and Bobb Gates gets on the case, 2 weeks later I am finally told that they have no more of these pipes and that I need to choose something else, I pick an Unfinished pipe. He asks me if it is alright if it is chipped slightly on the bottom of the bowl, but the draft hole is correctly positioned, I say it is perfectly fine and to ship it to me.
A couple days later I am holding the pipe in my hands, the hole is not only drilled off-center, but it is also drilled diagonally through the bowl, facing the wrong direction, but at least this time they finally packed with packing material the inner box, which probabley cuased the first two pipes to break during shipping. So I just ask for a refund, which to their credit I recieved the very same day (a partial refund minus my shipping charges for the first pipe).
Two pipes I had requested to be inspected in a row had obvious flaws any pipe smoker would have caught and that very few would ever accept, the first one could have simply been a manufacturer issue, but the two after that is just bad. I would be hopping mad had I been required to pay for the shipping of all these pipes, but since they covered all that, I am just annoyed. I feel a pipe company should do better and if Bobb Gates himself is inspecting a pipe (the manager of e-commerce) he should at least get it right or put someone on it that knows something about pipes.
Now I am a loyal customer to Mike (Briarblues), I feel someone selling pipes should inspect every one that goes out the door, pack them correctly, and actually know something about pipesmoking. While I feel PipesandCigars.com is an excellent company to buy pipe tobacco from (I am still a happy customer in this regard), I do not ever see buying another pipe from them, even if they have the lowest prices. It just isn't worth the hassle.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
The only pipe I have bought from them is a MM Pony. It came in a box just like you described. There was a little wiggle room in the box it came in. However I also bought tobacco, and it had packing material in the box. If I had bought just a pipe, it might have been different. Other then that cob, I've only bought tobacco, and it was packaged fine.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Yeah, they don't protect their pipes at all during shipping, they ship briar pipes the way companies ship corn cob pipes, it's just sad and would have probabley eliminated the damage caused to the first two pipes during shipping. It's like they just rely far too much on shipping insurance to care if they are packed right or not. To add to the damages, the last two of the pipes came with deep gouges on the briar and stems. None of my estate pipes came that damaged from other vendors (including Ebay).
They really know their stuff for tobacco, just seems silly that they would allow this to go on with their pipes.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Well damn.
I have only ordered tobacco from them, and every time it was stuffed full of butcher paper and no tin moved.
I always have fun shaking the box and am always pleasantly surprized that there is hardly any wiggle room.
It's a shame to hear this story. I would have imagined they'd be as liberal with the safety packing with a pipe as they are with their tobacco.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've ordered several lower end pipes from them and with no issues, and they're being shipped to Canada. The boxes have always been packed tightly. I have a new Savinelli Tundra waiting for me at my office, I'll be sure to inspect it closely when I finally make it there.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Eric, there is no excuse for that type of poor customer service and you have every right to tell people to beware of buying pipes from them. I have only used P&C for my tobacco and accessory needs and have always been very pleased with them on both accounts. I would not buy pipes from them because of their lack of quality pics and descriptions. They should take a look at smokingpipes to see how it is done correctly in terms of listing their pipes. Sorry you have had to deal with these kinds of headaches. I would just get my money back and forget buying a pipe from them.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry to hear it Eric - that is pretty bad.
I have only used P&C for my tobacco and accessory needs and have always been very pleased with them on both accounts. I would not buy pipes from them because of their lack of quality pics and descriptions. They should take a look at smokingpipes to see how it is done correctly in terms of listing their pipes.
Harris - you took the words right out of my mouth on all counts. Smokingpipes is doing it right. Little things, like accurate descriptions and well lit photos mean a hell of a lot.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I love some of the videos that Smoking Pipes has done with the white gloves.
Amazing.
Impracticle to do for ALL their pipes, but the more they can do the better.
Hire a couple part timers, show em how to handle the pipes, press record, submit raw footage to be edited, upload, done.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
whew! I only just ordered tobacco from them and didn't need to hear a horror story like the one I went through with a pipe I ordered. They should really be more careful with any shipping.

Aug 14, 2012
Something is obviously messed up over there. There is no real customer service. I ordered $100 worth of pipecleaners from them. The package got here open. I refused it & sent it back. I had to go to Paypal to get my money back. I would recommend avoiding them until they get it together, or if you must, pay with Paypal, and based on the above, get pipes elsewhere.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Wow Eric that is amazing! 8O
I have only ordered tobacco myself from the company and I have never had a problem with them. As far as CS goes, that area I have never had a problem with either. Via phone or email. Glad you brought up about the drama about the pipe. I was considering ordering some from them, but never did.
Thanks for the heads up! :clap:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
While I'll agree that's terrible customer service, I've bought nearly all my tobacco and pipes from them without issue. I even got a 15" clay pipe from them without issue when I was fairly certain it was goin to break in shipment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eric, sorry you had such bad experiences, not just one but several. You've passed the word, and I for one would be

wary of ordering a pipe from this site. If I just had to have one of their pipes, I'd call, get a name of "responsible"

person, and get assurances they would wrap it correctly for shipping, and hope for the best. But I will avoid

visiting the site for the purpose of shopping pipes. To their credit, Smokingpipes, Cup O Joes, and Iwan Ries

have always packaged things with care and pipes have arrived in showroom shape. Missouri Meershaum home

site as well. These people care about pipes and pipe smokers. It's more than a revenue flow to them. These

are the people to deal with -- my independent shop, Pipes By George, my local Tinderbox franchisee, and my

local (same state) pipe carver Jerry Perry. These folks are determined to do it right and want repeat business.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
You can always screw up once, after all we are all human. I like how you gave them another chance. But in all honesty, my patience would have been at an end after the second broken pipe.
I don't understand why they would put themselves in such a bad light, after all the pipe community is small and close together - aren't they aware that word of mouth is everything in such a customer base?
I'm pretty sure your post here has killed their pipe business at least with the forum members here for quite a while before they can build up some trust again.

Jan 8, 2013
Harris - you took the words right out of my mouth on all counts. Smokingpipes is doing it right. Little things, like accurate descriptions and well lit photos mean a hell of a lot.
I would say perhaps a bit too well lit on their photos lol. They are quite washed out in the photos. I have to say I was very pleased with how they shipped my pipes to me, with air filled bags in the box and around both pipes and even little foam thingies in the pipe boxes themselves. So my Peterson and Nording were resting comfortably on their journey to me from Smokingpipes. My pipes, especially the Nording, were noticeably nicer in person. In the photos it was very light in color and you could see very little wood grain. Upon receiving it, it was quite a bit darker with lots of beautiful straight grain. Although it turned out wonderfully for me, I would take into account when ordering from them, that your pipe may be darker than what you see in the photo. The Peterson, darker as well, I might have preferred it was just as in the photo, but it was no less nice and I am still pleased with it (smoked it for the first time last night and it was a dream... only had to relight because I was very lazy with my puffing lol)
Now my order with Pipes and Cigars wasn't as great. The Savi is drilled a bit off, but I don't believe it will be too much of an issue, and it was a lower end so I might just take the risk with it. But the Bjarne is just "Wow" pretty and seems to be about perfect. They didn't take the precautions in packing that smoking pipes did. It was stuffed with brown paper, but not snug like smokingpipes package. And even with two pipes, a pipe zippo, and two 8oz tins of tobacco there was a bit of room for movement. Everything seemed to arrive safely though, despite the box seemed like it had taken a bit of a beating in shipping.
I will probably continue to do business with both, but I certainly liked smoking pipes packaging much more. And will likely order a pipe from them before I think of ordering from pipesandcigars. Just remember, I think the photo process at smokingpipes washes out the pipes a bit.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for sharing I was just about to order a Sav churchwarden from them. I will look elsewhere. They should be apologizing for wasting your time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow! Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I have purchased a Rinaldo, Radice, Brigham and Nording from them and never had a problem with their condition or packaging.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
WoW! That shocks me! I have orderd numerous pipes from them and never had any issues with the quality ,packing, or flaws. Sorry to hear that. Of coarse now the next time I order from the it will be a broke pipe or something.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I got my Wessex with a hole from them. +1 they should inspect pipes.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
And, don't order from Storient, either. I am still waiting on my Dec. 21 meer order from that bunch.
I have to say that I have ordered from P&C as well as Smokingpipes. The P&C arrived in fine shape, but was not packed as well as anything I have ordered from Smokingpipes. That outfit does just an outstanding job.
One other excellent vendor is Boswell's. They have great pipes, great tobacco, and all of their packaging is first class, just about crush proof, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.