PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have heard it mentioned several times that you are cleaning your pipe bowls with EverClear, Gin, Rum, Vodka, and Tequilla. I've never done that and want to know how much it flavours the bowl, and what tobacco you pair up with. Keep in mind I'm an aro smoker.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have used rum, Everclear, brandy and vodka. I am primarily an aromatic smoker as well. To my pallet I can not taste any flavor profiles added due to the alcohol used for cleaning. I think what ever flavors are left are so subtle that the slightest bit of heat and they dissipate.
As an experiment I bought chocolate flavored vodka and used that on a couple of estate pipes I was testing. Other then making everything sticky and smell like chocolate it didn't do anything. The pipes smoked the same and just smelled a little sweeter in the rack. It probably took a month for the smell to wear off.
I now only use Everclear or Bacardi 151. The higher proof alcohol evaporates quicker and has a better effect as a cleaner.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
As eaglerico said, I've never noticed any ghosting from alcohols. Everclear is probably optimal because of the high alcohol content. Personally I usually use Jamison's Irish Whisky since I have half a bottle of it on hand and I'm not really a fan of the flavor for drinking. I'm more of a bourbon fan.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I use Bacardi 151. Sometimes if I run a dry cleaner through the pipe it will come out almost clean, then I'll surprise myself by seeing how much gunk a cleaner dipped in a little rum will pick up.
I've never noticed any ghosting from the rum. Before I started cleaning the pipes with it I have smoked a number of ghosted and sour pipes with a dirty shank.
The rum works well with all my pipes, some of which are dedicated to aros.

Aug 14, 2012
I almost never have to clean the pipe bowls because I am a fanatic about keeping the air passage & bottom of the bowl dry. My 1958 Wilke, bought new, has never had to be bowl cleaned. I just reamed it occasionally and used a dry paper towel to remove the excess loose carbon. BUT, when needed I use Tots Navy Gin, 114 proof, made in Brooklyn. It leaves a very fresh taste in the pipe. That was when I was allowed to smoke.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have used Bacardi 151 as well. Works great for me. I haven't had any ghosting effect.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I also use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, it evaporates very quickly and has never ghosted any at all.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I can always taste the rum, vodka, or bourbon on the first smoke, but only if I smoke it on the same day.
After you clean it, take a match put it in the bowl a few times. Gets rid of any taste or fuzzies. Be quick or it'll go out.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was trying to figure out how to get ahold of some EverClear, when my wife looked at me rather oddly, and went down to the basement. After about 10 minutes (I was getting ready to go and check on her) she came back with a bottle of EverClear that a friend had given me about 25 years ago.
Obviously, she has a better memory than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.