PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Last night before bed, I wrapped myself up in a coat, grabbed my Meerschaum churchwarden, a tin of tobacco, and proceeded out into the frigid night air. Overhead, the sky was crystal clear and the night enjoyed a welcomed calm wind. The Geminids meteor shower was about to start and I wanted to get a preview of the show. Often, when one grabs a pipe, contemplation sets in and like my pipe smoke, my thoughts and gaze drift skyward.
To me, the constellations are like old friends. They faithfully appear at their appointed time every year and are yet another reminder of the changing seasons. We humans are creatures of habit and most find comfort in some sort of routine. The seasons set a grand framework that we have long set our lives around. As I stare into the firmament, I visit my friends.
With its ruby eye, Taurus eyes Orion down while Orion stands his ground and prepares for yet another charge from the celestial beast. The Twins look on indifferently as they have seen this scene before countless times. Both of Orion’s hunting dogs stand faithfully by his side in anticipation for the coming blow.
My earliest memories are of the sky and the first constellation I learned was Orion. His belt stood out to me as they are almost in a perfect line and separation, a wonderful chance alignment that we get to enjoy here on Earth. Our ancestors noticed it too. In the Book of Job, it is mentioned “Can you loosen Orion’s Belt?” (38:31) Those three stars are like a beacon that beckons us heavenward.
The region occupied by Orion consists of a huge star making complex that is in large part obscured by interstellar dust. The Great Orion Nebula stands out as a blister and provides a glimpse into this vast star forming region. When one peers deeper into the nebula, baby stars can be seen burning hotly, as new stars often do, taking their first steps into the void. They burn away the local remnants of the gas and dust cloud that formed them and as a result, the surrounding gas will glow. Sometime in the far future, these stars will drift away from their birthplace and form new constellations for some future generation to gaze upon. In fact, most of the stars of the Big Dipper were born in the area of Orion as well as most of the stars in Orion itself.
Standing out among its younger siblings is mighty Betelgeuse, huge and smoldering red like the flame in my pipe. It is showing its age. It has become moody as it changes in brightness to let everyone know that it is reaching the end of its life. Someday, in the not too distant future, it will flame out in a spectacular fashion and be one of the brightest objects in our night sky. It will cast shadows during the night and be seen in the daytime. Thankfully, we are far enough away to witness the event in safety.
I look down to into my pipe bowl and notice that its flame has gone out. I have finished my bowl and it is time to turn in. I enjoyed my time with my friends and look forward to seeing them again on these rare, cloudless winter nights in Ohio. Before I leave, I look up one last time and witness the fiery death of a piece of comet dust: a meteor blazes a trail across the sky.
Good night friends.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Almost like a poem undermidnight, well written, well thought out. I consider myself an amateur astronomer,

although I have no telescope. I have a layman's understanding of what's out there, and how far. Nice how you

tied it in with enjoying a pipe....

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I enjoyed the read undermidnight. I too often gaze at the sky in wonderment. Although, living in Houston with all the bright lights I seldom have the opportunity to see what you have described. On the rare occasions I have been out in the darkness of south Texas I have spent hours amazed by what's out there. Thanks for the great post.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Made this just for you, undermidnight
**EDIT**
Link doesn't work, and I can't access imgur.com from company computer. You'll just have to wait.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great post undermidnight. It's such a loss to modern society and culture that due to light pollution we don't see the night sky any longer in all its majesty. But, unfortunately, there also seems to be a general lack of a sense of wonder toward the mysteries of nature and existence these days.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Very nice write-up !
And for those interested, Geminids will peak tonight ! I started looking for them Tuesday night (saw one) and then last night I saw a couple.
The wife was our and about for a girls night out, lit the firepit, grabbed a Sav 626, a tin of Autumn Evening, a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban scotch and had 5 hours of peace and quiet. Except for throwing another log on the pit on occasion. Some nights are as close to perfect as one can get this side of the hereafter. With the Geminids peaking tonight, I may repeat the same process since I have baccy left in the tin and scotch left in the bottle :puffy:
Firepit2.jpg

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Great idea!! When it warms up,like Spring/April, I think I will take out the telescope and do some planet watching with the pipe and some bourbon. At -20C at night right now, it is wayyyy too cold and it will only get colder for the rest of December, January and part of February. Btw, when I go camping in the mountains in the summer time, there is no light pollution and the stars you can see increases like 1000X, simply amazing.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
UM, I enjoyed your post. Astronomy is a great passion for me as well. Below is a picture of my 8-inch Meade LX-200 Telescope.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Great post undermidnight. It's such a loss to modern society and culture that due to light pollution we don't see the night sky any longer in all its majesty. But, unfortunately, there also seems to be a general lack of a sense of wonder toward the mysteries of nature and existence these days.
Agreed. It is sad really. I live in the suburbs so I don't see as much as I would like. On one occasion I got a glimpse of the Milky Way here with averted vision. It was exceptionally clear that evening.
I regularly go out into the darker skies of the country and get my dark sky fix.
Jason

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
So last night I stayed indoors. One of my other hobbies is Amateur Radio (callsign N8XE) and I was bouncing radio signals off of the ion trails left behind by meteors. It was a blast!
I celebrated with a bowl of C&D Autumn Evening in my Eric Nording signature freehand.. :puffpipe:
I also realized, pipe smoking is one of those hobbies that you can do with your other hobbies.
Jason

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great writing Jason! Thanks. Last night (Thursday) I sat out back from about 9:30-11:30pm and counted 53. It was awesome. My fingers were much to cold to work the pipe so I just enjoyed a big Macanudo Maduro. Took 2 hours to burn it down to a nub.
Just an amateur binocular observer here. Don't know the names of the stars just like looking at 'em.
73 Mike W8MDE

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Mike,
I see you are a ham and your bio on qrz shows you are also a CW guy. We should hop on the air soon.
73,Jason N8XE

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That would be great Jason. We can set up a sked and work some cw. I'm good on 40 or 80 meters both should work ok for the short distance between us. I have a flat wire at about 38' so I get good NVIS coverage. CW is my favorite mode and pretty much all I operate.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts. I, too, braved the cold for a time under the stars, my meer and I, enjoying some Pembroke and watching for Geminids.

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
This isn't my scope, but I have one exactly like it. Mine has a telrad on it, though. I love scopin' and smokin'!
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/1236903-Hardin%20DSH-10%20Dob.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.