Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
My father had to 'bomb' his house for fleas and one of my pipes failed to yield to the evacuation order. Is this pipe still serviceable or does it have to be culled? I realize the stem can easily be cleaned but I'm worried about the porous briar. This pipe was an estate gifted to me by someone who retired from pipe smoking but it has no emotional significance and is just a no-name pipe. It does smoke well through, and it has a good look to it (large, rusticated Dublin) but even still, I wouldn't hesitate to trash it if need be. Just wondering if anyone has an experience/input on the matter.
The upshot is that the pipe doesn't have fleas now.
Thanks in advance,
Joe
Edit: Title had too many 'ands' in it.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
When I started off my flying career, I was crop-dusting. I always got a kick out of the symbol on the chemical containers: a big red x through a guy smoking a pipe! I guess pesticide cigars were OK, just not pipes.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Thanks guys. That was my initial thought as well but I thought maybe someone would have a miracle solution. Sometimes the only solution is good sense. Thanks again.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
If caught early enough a strong soap and water wash on the outside of the bowl will negate most if not all of the chemicals that might have fallen on the surface of the pipe. The shinier the surface the less likely it was effected. I would give the inside of the bowl a good sanding and the stem a bleach treatment. I don't think the pipe would need to be thrown away and I likely wouldn't throw away my favorite pipe over it but to each his own. I suspect you eat as many chemicals when you eat an unwashed vegetable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, you have no way of finding out how much pesticide was deposited on the pipe, and no way of telling if you are able to remove it, so
Put it up on eBay
Give it to the kids to play with
Let the neighbor's dog chew on it
Use it as a Bonsai planter

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Find out what they used and then decide. Some pesticides are contact only and when they dry they become inert.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I was puffing a fine London Made Kaywoodie diplomat on the porch one day, then the wifey started hand spraying the ants. My GLP Westminster started tasting funky. I rested the pipe and the next half dozen bowls were strange tasting (over the next few weeks). It finally got itself back to normal. Lesson - no puffing while the chemical aerosols are about.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.