Pipes & Cigars Site No Longer Available In UK.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just tried to log onto the P&C website from the forum front page to check the cost and availability of C&D 'Oak Alley' only to be confronted with......
"Due to GDPR regulations, our website is currently unavailable in EU member countries."
.....that is a real shame as though I don't buy direct from them, my enabler does and I use the site for checking out various blends for potential purchase.
I'm well miffed.
Regards,
Jay.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
It's not about tobacco legislation, fortunately.
GDPR means General Data Protection Regulation. It's the reason you've been receiving countless "we have update our policy" emails.
I'm sure the website will comply with the silly regulations soon.
By the way, the 8 ounce can is $29.32 and out of stock. The 2 ounce tin is $9.77 and backordered.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mike, not sure what's going on. I'm using my Kindle at the moment but will try my PC tomorrow and see if that gets through.
Ignacio, thanks for the pricing info.
Dan, nope, no problems with your site.....loads up just as it should.
Not be long afore we cut our shackles ties with the EU so maybe things might then change :worship:
Regards,
Jay.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
There's no way they are going to even try to attempt to comply with the crazy EU regs. You'd have to do a massive amount of biz to make it worth your while.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Yes, I stand corrected. Didn't know they don't do international shipping.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I am planning a Business trip to Argentina (Benos Aires) end of August...and there are several Pipe

shops I have marked down. Planning to stock up on JF Germain tobacco's since UK and EU also do not ship to US.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Don't get your hopes up. There's only a handful of tobaccos in Argentina, mostly Dunhill, Peterson and SG.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's unfortunate to hear, Jay. I would get all spun up on a rant about the EU and the inbred Uncle Dad that spawned it, the UN, but that would be against the rules. :wink:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"That's unfortunate to hear, Jay. I would get all spun up on a rant about the EU and the inbred Uncle Dad that spawned it, the UN, but that would be against the rules."
Aldecaker, I'm inclined to agree. Not wanting to make this a political thread, it just seems to me to be yet another method of muffling the voice of the person on the street......wherever that street may be.
What on earth harm can there be in allowing me to view what is for sale in another country? As pointed out above, I can't buy from them but why hide the product info?
Bloody bizarre if you ask me.
Regards,
Jay.
Olkofri.....what is VPN please?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Virtual Private Network.... Though that about sums up my familiarity. I did download an app to try it, it worked, but the limit on throughput was so small it wasn't going to do much. I was going to stream some stuff from the Beeb! For pay apps let you do more.
It hides or spoofs your location so the controls that prevent you from connecting to a specific site are disabled. Er, I think.... :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, sorry. Me and my laconicism.
Virtual Private Network. Lets you route your connexion through foreign servers and hides your traffic from prying eyes, such as your ISP's. That's what I'm using to watch the World Cup as I don't have nor want cable. BTW, I tried to open P&C's site while routing through a German server and got the same 'door-on-nose' page that you did. It opens fine with the VPN off and going through my actual geographical location (which still doesn't do me any good, as P&C won't ship to Canada).
I'd avoid free VPN services, BTW. When something's free YOU are the product. But some of the reputable/for pay ones offer free trials.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Email Russ and have him send you their catalogues.I love looking thru them. I'm sure he would put you on the list... :wink:

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
it just seems to me to be yet another method of muffling the voice of the person on the street......wherever that street may be.
In 99% of discussion about regulations, I would definitely agree. But GDPR actually seems very "person-on-the-street"-friendly to me. It is meant to regulate big corporations use of your personal information.

GDPR secures an individual's ownership of one's personal data. In example, if I put my name, address, email or other personal information on a company's website for a purchase, with GDPR I have the right to have the information deleted, should I wish so, after the transaction, and that the company can't sell my personal information to other companies without my consent. IMO, this may be the first EU regulation in history not deserving a rant from ordinary people... :D
I also can't access P&C anymore, and I really don't understand why. I visit multible web shops- and sites everyday, and this is the only one that has ever been blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.