PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Mixed with sweet Virginias, this tobacco produces a blend that can be smoked for hours without exhaustion as it alternates between the sweet and sour flavors of its components. Smoked straight, it provides a depth of texture within a single flavor that has multiple contrasting attributes. My Prince Albert (yes, in a can) has languished since the discovery of this remarkable, flavorful ingredient. For those who like the codger flavor, this is essential smoking, and for anyone else who likes natural tobaccos at full intensity, it is worth trying if not blending. When touched off with a little Latakia or another full-dark dark fired blend, it introduces a sturdy body behind those flavors which normally float suspended over the rest owing to their outlier status. Although it makes English blends taste like the singed results of a fallen empire, in Oriental-forward varieties it creates a tangy, soft taste that is as enigmatic as it is appealing. For kicks, mix it with a little Five Brothers to get a full-bore all day smoke in the oldest American tradition. I feel sorrow that I discovered this tobacco so late, as with a cellar of this and a few good briars I would be happy for a long while.
http://www.deathmetal.org/lifestyle/pipes-cigars-dark-fired-kentucky-burley-2015/
This stuff is seriously awesome. Smokes really well on its own.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I personally have never been a fan of heavy burleys, unless they have been cut with a lat or virginia. Rough, straight burleys tend to leave me parched and sore. But this does sound like something I'm gonna have to try.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You might dig it, Mr. Fireman. It has good strength and a very natural flavor. I might add in something to balance the slight sourness.
Summary: a sweet Burley with a less-intense smoky taste than most dark fired offers, this blending component smokes well on its own.
Where most dark fired tobacco ends up fully dark, this blending Burley is more accurately described as partially smoked. It still has the campfire flavor of dark fired, but more of the natural sweet, sour and nutty taste of the Burley emerges underneath it. At full nicotine strength, it is designed for use in blends but smokes well on its own for those who want a codger smoke amplified into the next dimension. When blended, it adds the dark fired flavor but stretches across the middle range of tastes without dominating the blend, making this a foundation ingredient for blends. When combined with cube cut Burley and a strong Virginia, for example, the Blending Dark Fired Kentucky Burley (BDFKB) flavor stretches to include those others as support, but remains the dominant actor.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10182#review83658
Thanks to Chuck from TR for helping get this online, there's a new review. Personally I could smoke this stuff all day and be perfectly happy, but it's a lot of fun to blend with too, mainly because it doesn't dominate as much as the regular dark fired.

I keep hearing back and forth that DFK is not a burley, but a strain of Virginia, or that it is a burley. Since most guys are only familiar with products made from various methods using the Virginia Gold Seed strain, they are unfamiliar with a whole host of other Virginia varieties that are KNOCK YOU OUT strong plants. Dark Virginia, Orinoco, and several other varieties.
I cannot say for sure, but DFK doesn't "taste" like a burley to me. It tastes like a variety of a dark Orinoco with a hickory smoked flavor. But, I admit, I have no idea what the seed stock is exactly. I mean, I know that it is a specific variety, but I am not sure what category it falls into.
I have five pounds of the Stokkebye brand Dark Frired Kentucky, and I love it by itself or to mix down a really strong twist. I do not find DFK to be an overwhelming nic hitter. It's just a good all day smoke IMO.
Now, there are several other varieties of dark fired leaf, and many ARE burleys, such as the Arcadian burley that they use to cut perique with. And, GH&co has a few that they blend with that taste similar to DFK, but are just smoked burleys. Which makes it confusing.
That all said, if you are a DFK lover, give one of those Drew Estates Kentucky Fire Cured cigars a try. They are delicious. In fact if I could only ever have one thing to smoke for the rest of my days (deserted island scenario) it would be these cigars. Amazing smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several dark fired blends on hand, so I'll have to add this to my future list. Along with Semois, these strike some fundamental place in my taste. I do not find these harsh, and they bite far less than aromatics of even a mild disposition. I'm savoring MacB's HH Old Dark Fired as I type. I really enjoy an array of C&D burley blends as well. They do a lot with non-aromatic burley blends.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sadly, backordered:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73129/blending-dark-fired-kentucky-burley/#p-118398
It's similar to this but less smoky:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/80424/peter-stokkebye-314-dark-fired/#p-151104

Status
Not open for further replies.