PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My parents' grocery store sells the best pipe matches in the world. They come from Mexico, each box has a reproduction of some painting on the back, they have a striker panel on both sides, and they only open from one end, so they don't fall out. The tray also has a flap covering half of it, so they don't fall out. The best part though, is that they are bendy and don't break. lonestar figured out they're made of cactus thorns. No one else can find them; apparently I know the one place in North America that sells them. They are called MAYA cerillos (spanish for matches) if you can find them.
I gave some to baron and he uses them in his awesome youtube reviews. fireman03 found out about them from baron and asked me to send him some, and he'd pay me for my time and trouble. I told him they were so cheap I wouldn't feel right charging him for them, but I would accept baccy samples. Before I even bought the matches, he sent me like 6-8 ounces of four different Burleys, a new Missouri Meershaum and five bucks!! He actually apologized he didn't send me more baccy. Good grief!
I sent him 4,000 matches and we're going to do another trade when he gets low. The stinking postage cost more than the matches. The 89 mile drive to get them cost way more than the matches. I only gave baron 1,000 and need to get him some more, because I guess I have a corner on the market :)
Pipers are just generous folks; that's a fact. We come from all walks of life too - you've got your poor folks like me and guys like yachtexplorer selling $30,000 worth of pipes (gorgeous, btw).
My point is, I believe pipers just tend to be, how do I say it, cut from better cloth than the average random person. Thanks to Kevin for the site, and thanks to all you guys and gals out there.
David.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
David, It's great to read posts like this and I enjoyed reading yours. I'm new to this community but I quickly learning that you don't even have to ask before someone is helping someone else out. Thanks for shedding a light on this great bunch of people.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Not only are we a generous bunch but as far as I can tell, we are exceedingly good looking as well. :rofl:

Well, me anyway!!! :puffpipe: :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Wow David, thanks for the props! BTW, the matches are a big hit around the firehouse, too. I dared them to find out where to get them. :wink:
I really do appreciate you sending them to me and am working on a sampler pack of Aro's for you to try.
Take care bro,
Chris

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You see this all the time around here and there is often more that one does not . There are a lot of good folks here .

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I stuck some in the Box Pass too, so simnettpratt may have a nice trading network before long. If anyone can find out a place to buy them online, I'll do a video review of them. I do use them in all of my pipe/tobacco reviews and every morning when I enjoy a pipe with my coffee. They really are awesome matches! Thanks, simnettpratt! Here's the video where I point them out (and then the wind blows my match out making me look like a dick).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvx1dygttvw&feature=g-user-u

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That is pretty sweet. I heard baron talking about them before. Someone should try and find them online and post a link.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Hey baron, it ain't the wind that makes you look like a dick. Sorry man, that was mean. If you guys can find them, they are MAYA cerillos from Mexico, and they are better than Swan Vestas. If anyone wants some, seeing as I have a corner on the racket, er market, zap me a PM and I'll see what we can do.
Dave

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Maybe I'll do the review and drop simnettpratt's name. His grocery is going to wonder what's with the guy buying all the matches!

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Note to self: Never make baron mad.... :rofl: Seriously though, I would like to get some of these matches to try as well.. hate the diamonds which are the only ones I can find around here... Let us know if you can cut a corner on the market simmnet..

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@baron YEAH BABY!
@everyone else, if you want some MAYA matches and can't get them locally, PM me and I'll see what we can do. They're free, but I do accept baccy samples. If you don't have the bucks for a sample, they're still free.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.