Piper kindness even bleeds over to ebay!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I've had my eye on one of those old Medico silver overlay pipes for some time. Something about the silver just grabs me. My only hesitation in buying one has been that I figured it would be a cheap, hot smoking waste of money, even though the prices are way low.
A few days ago, I went ahead and bought an estate off ebay. I figured at worst, it would add a little "bling" to my pipe rack. I paid twenty-something for one on ebay.
In just a couple days, I received the pipe, heavily wrapped in bubblewrap. To my surprise upon unwrapping it, I found not one but TWO pipes...both identical. The seller attached a tiny note which read, "I threw this other one in for free. The stem is a little loose."
What a surprisingly kind gesture!
I polished up the silver, sterilized and cleaned them both (neither were in rough shape at all), and put a little beeswax on the loose stem to make it a good fit.
These little babes are actually good smokers! They have a nice, smooth draw, and they stay very cool. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I am very happy with this purchase. My hat goes off to the seller. Very nice little unexpected gift.
image46-600x450.jpg

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Cool! What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm with ya bud, and I think the silver tells a story, or at least it's fun to look at it and try and decide if that's the case, and what the story is. It's a fun pipe, and you got 2! Glad they smoke well to boot!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hmmmmm, yeah, I like it! Glad to hear you report that it smokes good too. At first I thought, WTH? But after examining your photo with the cool tamper it started to grow on me. Nice grab!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
How interesting!! Very cool looking pipe and a bonus that it smokes well also!

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Great looking pipe and I love the artistic contrast of silver over black. I am also a big straight billiard and saddle stem fan, well done sir.
So far, everything I have purchased from ebay and artisan pipers, has come with something a little extra. I love that about the piping community and great to hear it is common with others as well.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'm another one who's admired these but never have gotten around to getting one. I think the price on them is about to go up after this thread though! LOL

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
papipeguy wrote:

I like the looks of that pipe. Does the metal get hot when you smoke it? That would be my only concern. Good luck with it.
That was a concern of mine, as well. I've only smoked it once so far, but no, it didn't get hot at all. It was a very cool smoke. I was quite surprised. I will say there was a good breeze blowing, so that may have contributed a little, but I doubt it would've made a big difference.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
rolldog wrote:

So far, everything I have purchased from ebay and artisan pipers, has come with something a little extra. I love that about the piping community and great to hear it is common with others as well.
That is really good to hear. It speaks volumes as to the type of folks in this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.