PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalanpipes

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hi Guys,
I thought you folks in the Repair section might like to have some insight into a pipe making technique used by many professionals. I didn't see a pipe making section of the forum, so thought it would fit best here.
Many of you may be aware that many handmade pipes are shaped almost completely before they are drilled. This is probably the most specialized of pipe making techniques and can yield some of the best results due to the changed order of operations from standard pipe making (drill first, then shape). I made the video because I have designed some drill bits for use by serious hobbyists and professionals, but I'm sharing it because it describes the whole process of drilling a pipe in this way.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
Best,
Jeff
Freehand Drilling Video

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Hey Jeff nice to see you finally on here. I have long subscribed to your YouTube channel and often re-watch them in my attempts at making pipes. I will definately watch the video you posted.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd like to have a set of those bits,but don't know if I'm brave enough to use them as you do!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Jeff, I actually saw the new videos before I read the email...That's a nice set of tools...I really like the military mount set as well. Will you have some in Chicago?

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Jeff, I picked up one of your 11/16" spoon bit from Premal and drilled with it today. It drilled better than any other spoon bit I've used. I was amazed and will be picking up the other sizes.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'd like to have a set of those bits,but don't know if I'm brave enough to use them as you do!

Agreed, I have seen the bits & they are nice. I'll probably pick up a set sooner or later.
Watching a kid have part of a thumb ripped off in a lathe mistake still haunts my memory. I'm not sure if I could do the freehand part.

Status
Not open for further replies.