PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone recently posted a youTube review by Dion of Russ' Fire Storm blend, and it was really good. He obviously outlines his presentation and maybe even rehearses them, and this shows in the results, and I congratulate him. The majority of pipe youTubes are not so good. Many have worthwhile content but stretch the presentation twice what it needs to be for lack of planning. Worse, many of the presenters hem and haw, light their pipes and fiddle with them, swallow, wheeze, and seem to get lost in their own thoughts. Little thought is given to background. Props sometimes are not at hand but have to be reached for or dug out of boxes. Close-ups of tobacco or pipe bowls are not sufficiently lit. It's often a celebration of poor production values and clueless amateurism. I'm a guy who enjoys watching play and musical rehearsals, so I'm not a perfectionist about these things, if I am convinced that the person is trying and has a goal in mind. Sadly, many of these guys aren't nearly as interesting to watch as they believe they are, nor are they making a good faith effort in putting their talk across. I think it's time for tough love. Let's work hard at these youTube segments or get off the web. Please.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here Here! Lots of bad YouTube pipe related videos out there, but lots of great vids too. Watch what draws your interest and discard the rest. Here are some of the YTPC members I watch and find informative and entertaining.
Matches860: I consider him the Bob Ross of the YTPC. He always paints a great picture with the stories he tells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9IDMEQ2MF4&t=184
Posthuman Piper: I find his videos informative and entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT92CzePJZ8
MetalHeadCigarGuy: Always keeps you guessing. Never know what you'll get. Always entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLekHf_TavQ&t=82

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
+1
I actually was going to call that out in the firestorm review thread, but didn't want to hijack it so glad you started a separate discussion.
I always just attributed the side stories, tamping, lighting as something that was built into the personality of pipe smokers.
There are some good reviews out there, but seems to take a while to get to the actual content.
I came from the cigar realm and there are a lot more reviews out there. Many seem to follow the same format of: going over the look, smell, feel, flavors on the pre-draw. Followed by initial flavors after light, characteristics of first 1/3, second 1/3, final 1/3, overall summary, done.
I have seen a handful of pipe tobacco reviews like this, but not necessarily on a continuing basis. Granted, one cigar, one sitting, one review; a tin of pipe tobacco could take a few days to a month to get through. One wouldn't have to smoke the entire tin to review, but to keep posting reviews I would have to imagine a surplus of open tins would eventually accrue.
Not to sound ungrateful for the pipe related content on Youtube. I do enjoy the content and hope everyone that is posting continues to do so. Please take the above only as constructive criticism.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Advice to youTube presenters could go on for pages, or book length, but just a few simple pointers. You must outline your talk, and do it in writing, even if you're a person who thinks well on his feet, and especially if you're not. If there's any hint that you are thinking up what to say next, your credibility is shot. Have an index card with your outline in front of you as you video, even after you have rehearsed at least three time, five or eight being better. You want your presentation to flow. In terms of dress and grooming, go for your more conventional look. Anyone's face looks at little odd to someone who is seeing it for the first time, even if you're reasonably good looking. Don't challenge people with expressive clothes and grooming; this will not help. Be yourself, but keep it low key. Any props or visuals should be right in front of you. Don't be getting up out of the frame or otherwise fumbling. Don't talk fast, but avoid pauses. Have your summary/wrap-up clearly in mind. This should be one sentence, or two at the most, underlining your point. There's a lot more to it, and there are good references that will teach you more, but if you master this much, you will be ahead of half the presenters on youTube.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kel (smokeringspiperings) has a very good series on everything to do with smoking a pipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdq096WrXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Status
Not open for further replies.