PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
Hello all!

I'm a relatively new pipe smoker, and I took such a liking to it that I have made a small hobby of making pipes! My pipes are all natural made from only wood that I can cut myself out of my own woods. So far I have made pipes from three types of woods basswood, cherry, and hard maple. What are your thoughts and experiences with these types of woods? Thanks a bunch, I hope everyone is having a really great day!

-Kurt

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Some place on this site is a list of safe wood to make pipes from. not all wood is safe.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I think I have a MM Maple. I like it, it's a war horse-type in that I drop it, it comes apart when I smoke it (after, never during because we have that kind of rapport). All in all, I like it.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks! The maple one is the only one I haven't personally tried, so that's great to know! I've spend most of my time smoking the basswood one. Mostly because I want to prove to myself the the basswood isn't practical due to how light and soft it is, but I have yet to find any real reason to dislike it! It seems like the bowl is holding up very well and the pipe doesn't taint the flavor of the tobacco at all. On the other hand I have really enjoyed how light the pipe is when I am hold the stem in my teeth! Basswood... who knew...

Status
Not open for further replies.