PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
What are some of best woods to make a pipe out of? I'd like to try carving one.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
About any fruit wood is good. Some nut bearing woods are also nice. Of course briar is the favorite.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Do you folks whittle the stem as well or order them online? I've seen wooden cherry pipes offered on the Missouri Meershaum sit. Anyone on the forum smoking this one? They seem inexpensive.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I buy mine. I have paid $14 for a fancy black lucite stem from a fancy shop. One of my local shops has a jar of bits that people didn't want that they sell for $5 apiece, some are very nice. Places like JH Lowe online have good deals, but shipping adds to that cost. Or you can buy a lot of them cheap on ebay. Hope that helps.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Check out some of my walnut pipes on the "Black Walnut" forum. #3 and #4 used free wood and $5 stems and turn out nice enough. Can't beat that price!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Jaybird, just a few things to keep in mind...
"Cherry Wood" is also a name for a SHAPE of a pipe (flat-bottomed cylinder with a straight shank which angles up) regardless of the material from which it's made. So a "cherry wood" pipe may or may not be made from the wood of a cherry tree.
Also as noted in a prior post, the vast majority of wood pipes are cut from briar. Some carvers use more exotic woods (olive wood and morta being the most popular) but you should be careful when choosing an exotic wood. Some can be toxic! In short, briar is the material of choice for pipe making for a REASON.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
With Walnut, it makes a decent enough pipe, but when your cutting and sanding it, make sure and wear a dust mask as the dust from Walnut is very toxic from what I understand. Hard on the lungs.
Of course, you should do this with any wood unless your using a good dust collection system.
I've made a couple of my own stems and you should know, you can put almost as much time in a handmade stem as you can the making of the pipe itself. So for now, just learning pipe making, I'm using premade stems, although I do reshape them and also add delrin as a tenon.

jsullivan

Lurker
Sep 26, 2011
Ive made pipes from Black Walnut and Cyprus and both have turned out nice. You just have to be more careful when smoking them because they tend to get much hotter than the traditional Briar. If you don't break them in right they will crack so be ware.

Status
Not open for further replies.