PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I bought my first pipe that did not Com with a "pre-carbon" liner in it. Atleast that is what I always thought it was. Anyway is there anything I need to know during the break in process? Don't want to damage the inside of the chamber.

Mar 1, 2014
I've never had a burn out regardless of coating.

If you're really worried and you want a good head start on the cake, smoke pure Burley and smear the ashes around. I've used a thin sugar coat on occasion as well, which mostly seems to just help the ash stick.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Just smoke it like normal and enjoy the taste of the raw briar for a few bowls! Most artisan pipes come without any bowl coating and they do just fine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The covering the bowl with ash is an old wives tale. There is nothing in ash that will help build a nice hard cake.
Smoke as you normally would and if you want the quickest and hardest cake, smoke Va, Vaper and Vabur flakes in it. I get a nice hard cake after 12 bowls in a naked bowl.

The first few smokes out of an uncoated bowl are my favorites. It's like I am tasting the aroma of future smokes, bonding with the briar, getting the pipe ingrained into my DNA. It's not unpleasant to me at all. It's like a clean wood taste. I love it, and it keeps me buying more new pipes.

Enjoy!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The covering the bowl with ash is an old wives tale. There is nothing in ash that will help build a nice hard cake.
To underline this, I can confirm that cake builds up in a new pipe even when the smoker rinses and wipes all the ash out before a re-load. I think cake is the coating of solids released by combustion, and which precipitate out on the relatively cooler briar wall, and there harden. At the same time, I suppose that some ash could be incorporated into the cake if the precipitate (probably the wrong word) coated it. But who wants to start a bowl with ash all down the chamber?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I remember when the popular advice from B&M sellers was to coat the inside with a thin film of honey. I tried it once. What a horrible taste! After that I just smoked them. Never bothered to do the partial-fill thing either, just filled to the top and smoked. Never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.