PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I am interested in a Euro pipe but it has a stinger. I know the standard action when faced with one of these is to remove it. My question - how do pipes typically smoke when the stinger is removed? Is it just inserted in a normal tenon and the surgical procedure leaves one with a normal pipe? Or is it best to just avoid stinger pipes altogether?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There are so many variables, it's hard to say without seeing the pipe and stinger.
GENERALLY, most of us avoid the stinger.
I have some older Kaywoodies and the stinger is an important way to date the pipe (1930's, 1950's etc. all used different types). Those era Kaywoodies are compatible with Dunhill pipes of the same era and smoke quite well with the stingers intact. Those are generally cut off as they screw in.
If it is a push-stem pipe, usually the stinger can just be pulled out. Sometimes, if you heat the stinger slightly with a flame, it will twist out pretty easily. (Comoys, etc.) Dunhill puts a small tube in their pipes, and it slides right out.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Depends on the stinger - some are screwed in, some are friction-fit, etc. I've got a Mr. Brog churchwarden that has a short stinger (friction fit), and I really haven't noticed much of a difference between smoking with the stinger and without, so I've taken to just leaving it in place. On this particular pipe, it just leaves the draft hole open instead of having a perforated bit of metal stuck in it, so the draw is slightly more open than it would be otherwise, but the difference is negligible.
On a smaller pipe, it might make more of a difference. I'll leave it to the more experienced pipers to make recommendations. If you've got a pipe with atinger, try it with and without and see which you prefer.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I had a pipe with a stinger years ago and smoked it as it was. It smoked okay but was difficult to clean as I recall. The pipe in question is a Hilson Vintage (30 yr old briar from the old Hilson firm that the new Dutch owners finished off). Haddocks has been selling them for awhile. I may inquire of Haddock's about the piece, but will likely just pass on it. Thanks for your help guys.

Jan 8, 2013
I wouldn't pass it up. I have a Hilson Vintage and it is an excellent smoker. I don't believe mine had a stinger, but my memory sucks. If it did, I must've pitched it on day one. I do have one pipe with an intact stinger, its a Royal Sovereign billiard, and it is among my best smokers. The stinger design on it does prevent a lot of moisture from getting through the stem, however, it does trap it in the shank. I have to use care breathing back into the pipe, as I can blow the moisture into the bowl if I'm being careless.
All in all, I see no reason to avoid the pipe. If the price is right, I say go for it.

I only have one stinger pipe, and I like it ok. If you get the slightest gurg, you can just remove the stem and sling the moisture off the stinger. It at least prevents the gurgle from getting down into where the draft meets the chamber. Gurgles that low in the pipe just suck beyond belief.
However, I probably wouldn't grab a stinger pipe to use as an all day smoker. It would get frustrating after a while.

Removing the sting only helps about 20% of the moisture problem. There is still differentials in the inside tube that will create turbulence, which will lead to condensing.
If it has you concerned before you even buy the pipe, that may be a sign to back off and keep looking.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a mid 50's Kaywoodie with a 3 hole and I enjoy smoking it. It does get a moisture buildup, so every so often I remove the stem and sling it out.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I only have a little experience with stingers, but I'm convinced the guys who say "it varies" are right. I took one out and then *got* a moisture problem. Excessive. I think it's because I created a some kind of mechanical moisture-making/trapping "error" in the smokestream. Just with that one.
With my others, I left them in because they are screw in stems. So if I want to get rid of some annoying condensation, I unscrew them, flick the little droplets, blow through the stem, screw it back in, good to go.
I don't smoke with filters in Grabows, and I didn't notice a problem there. I think it just varies with the particular pipe whether you'll make your smoke better or worse by taking it out.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I used to cut them off with a hack saw. As an interesting aside if you unscrew the amber stem from an early 20th century meerschaum above the screw threads is a stinger made from a duck quill which makes putting a pipe cleaner through the stem impossible. I use a stiffened length of string to clean amber stems.

Reactions: Papamique

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
have a mr. brog #66.
have smoked it with and without its stinger...not sure that I don't prefer "with" on this one.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do have a bunch of stingers in my tool box. As soon as I saw I took it out.

To me much smoother draw and easy to put a pipe cleaner after smoke also it is

easy to clean the pipe without a stinger.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Remove it or forget about it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I'd say it all depends. Some pipes smoke better with a stinger and some become detrimental, while others have no effect. Smoke it with and without, see what you like better. Also how and what you smoke is a factor also. So it all depends on what's best for you. :puffy:

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
i have a nice no name bulldog that has a large bowl hole that i like a lot.if it wasn't for the stinger I could not smoke it cause it would allow the tobacco to come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.