PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I was reading another post about online information regarding pipes, and I noticed one stat is weight. Is there a standard weight for a pipe? How many ounces/grams denotes a light pipe vs. a heavy pipe?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The weight of a pipe sure is important to me. I'll let others who are more knowledgeable answer what denotes a heavy vs. light pipe. I do know there is no standard weight. But for me, anything over 50 grams starts getting into the "too heavy" category for me to comfortably enjoy smoking.
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some large pipes that weigh over 2 ounces, and they aren't for clenching. Lighter pipes are easier

to use when you want or need to clench, and also a lighter briar tends to denote a briar that has been aged

longer and is therefore higher quality. I have a Britannia Dublin smooth 1/8 bent that, despite being

a lower middle grade in price, is delightfully light weight, and it is a full size Group 4. Smaller light weight

pipes are fine, but have their limitations. For most purposes, 1.5 to 1.7 is about right for a full size pipe.

Up to 2 is completely acceptable. After that, I want a lot of bowl to justify the weight, and it's not going to

be necessarily my go-to pipe. Some folks like only extra large pipes, and will accept the weight, and others

like only smaller pipes. What music to you dance to? (As the old saying goes.)

Dec 24, 2012
For me, if I plan to clench (and I normally do), I look for something under 75 grams. That said I have a massive head and neck that almost approaches comical proportions. The magic number varies from person to person. Cigrmaster, for instance, has a tiny little neck and very sensitive teeth so he tops out at around 8 grams.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Poor cigrmaster and his tiny, tiny pipes.
I typically stick with a limit of 45g or so for straight pipes. For bents with good balance, about 75g or so is OK. I clench most of the time so weight is important factor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, lol. I like my pipes to be under 50 grams although I do have a couple that are heavier. My biggest Rad is 64 grams and that is my heaviest pipe. I have a local friend who clenches these massive pipes over 80 grams with no problem, and has the same cro magnon look that peck sports.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Weight is now a critical matter for me because I clench. The mid 50gm weight is tops when checking out a pipe. Balance is also important, but unfortunately one cannot tell that unless you are buying at a show or a B&M.
Pencil thin necks and cro-magnum heads? What a bunch of misfits... :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect anatomy has little to do with it. Some spindly little guy with a jaw like a snapping turtle might

enjoy a 3 ounce straight pipe, whereas a massive guy with chipped tender teeth and mostly bridge work

might want only a pocket pipe. Stereotypes seldom work, but they do dramatize the thread.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
For me, if I plan to clench (and I normally do), I look for something under 75 grams. That said I have a massive head and neck that almost approaches comical proportions. The magic number varies from person to person. Cigrmaster, for instance, has a tiny little neck and very sensitive teeth so he tops out at around 8 grams.
Oh man, that is the funniest post all week. LOL!
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
peck, lol. I like my pipes to be under 50 grams although I do have a couple that are heavier. My biggest Rad is 64 grams and that is my heaviest pipe. I have a local friend who clenches these massive pipes over 80 grams with no problem, and has the same cro magnon look that peck sports.
Harris
Will somebody please pass me the popcorn? This thread is getting really good!
Pipestud

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There is a fella in our pipe scene here that is rail thin and kind of short. Anyway, he prefers huge pipes like Ashton magnums. I think the pipes are bigger than his head. He packs them good and will spend a day just smoking the one bowl.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
To keep Pipestud entertained:
Don't they say, the larger the pipe (or heavier) the smaller the , ahem, 'unit'?

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I think the stem is important when considering weight. If the pipe is fully bent, I think it can stand to be on the heavier side. But a straight stem that's on the long side better have a lighter bowl on the end of it. Simple physics really.
Of course my heaviest pipe is also about 7" long and a straight stem, so what do I know.
P.S. To borrow/bastardize a quote from Freud, Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. Other times it's a metaphorical wiener.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also think stem design has a lot do with the ability to clench. I have moved out pipes that were not heavy, but were really uncomfortable. Some stems are just too rounded and they don't sit in your teeth worth a damn, it sucks having to hold a 35 gram pipe. My Rad which is 64 grams while fairly heavy is not hard to clench for lighting and for short periods. When I smoke it I will clench about half the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point, about the stem (straight, or bent, and how much bent) has a lot to do with how much

leverage the pipe applies against your teeth and jaw. A full bent pipe that weighs two ounces is

probably not a heavy load, whereas a straight pipe of the same weight is pushing that bit into your

expensive crowns or other dental work, or your brittle teeth, pretty hard. Still, even with a full bent

pipe, I don't want to go way above 2 ounces. It's a good case for using MM cobs on camping trips

where you can't get to a dentist in a hurry. Cobs are really light.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Some stems are just too rounded and they don't sit in your teeth worth a damn,
One of my pipes, a straight Enrique, really isn't heavy at all. However, it is over 6 inches and has a rounded stem. Very difficult to clench and uncomfortable to hold in my mouth.
I became proactive and without any experience, filed the stem down to a more flat configuration. It now is a very smokeable pipe, and although the stem has some wavy lines, it is polished and bright. I could go over it again to remove the lines, but it doesn't bother me so I'll leave it alone until I want to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.