PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
For a while now I have been seeing seom really high end pipes with a metal cap on the rim. While I think these are very nice looking. I question the practicality of them.
For those of you who have one

1) Does the rim tend to darken the same as without?

2) How much extra care is it? If any.

3) Does the cap work lose over time?
Some pics of examples of what I am talking about.

http://www.pipes2smoke.com/Ferndown/LW_08.htm

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The nice thing about metal capped rims is that they are easier to clean. That portion of the rim closest to the stem always darkens faster than the rest of the rim. Spit is useful to clean the rim. And smooth rims are easier to clean than blasted or plateaued (sp?) rims. But metaled rims are the easiest to clean. Plus they look cool.

Dec 24, 2012
I have three - all Ashtons and all with sterling silver caps. As long as you get a sterling silver cap, it is very easy to clean with polish designed for silver or a jewellery cloth. Some cheaper pipes don't use real silver and I have heard stories about those caps getting ruined over time.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I have Peterson's and Barling's with sterling silver caps. I agree with Peck; they are very easy to clean IF silver, plus you won't char the bowl rim when lighting/relighting.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
My Peterson has silver for the cap and my Tsuge Tankard aluminum neither are a problem to keep clean and they are nailed to the bowl, Peterson used silver and Tsuge aluminum, doubt either will come loose, the Tsuge is approaching 700 smokes w/o issues.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The metal will get hot, the Peterson is a pot so real estate is small in comparison to the Tsuge Tankard which is tall, the bottom of the Tsuge will get warm but not overly both settle out as the tobacco is smoked down.
I love the Tsuge Tankard, my daily walkabout with my Weimaraner is anywhere from 45-60 minutes and the pipe lasts the entire outing and the ride home if the outing is 45 mins. I have smoked it at least daily, sometime 2-3 times and as I said it's approaching 700 smokes, has been reamed twice to keep the cake even with the metal, and smokes great regardless if I throw plug cut disks, folded flakes, rubbed flakes or regular tobacco and so far not a hint of ghosting. I paid $90 + S/H when it was introduced they are nearly double that now but I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The only thing is you need to move the stem clockwise if removing it or replacing it while it is warm or the connection to the bowl will unscrew. Regards....

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like metal on the brim could nip like a hot pan on the stove, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for

those who own these pipes. I still favor the all-briar (and stem material) tradition. But I've been re-educated

before!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Oh come now, tell me you don't feel the "Come Hither" pull when eyeballing these beauties? ;)
9591050034_d7dafb7740_z.jpg

8625479534_896b5955d2_c.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Here is the Ashton my wife got me last Christmas. I bought another Ashton silver cap off Docwatson, and then grabbed another Ashton silver cap estate from Viking Club Pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.