PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I am about to cry, sorry for the pipe but a good example of how burnouts look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEZGYHDtSM

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow, I have had some of my collection for nearly twenty years, and they are no where near that! 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this is probably a flaw in the briar that invited the burnout. The other possibility would be someone who started smoking a pipe but did it in a frenetic way that found an irregularity in the briar that otherwise wouldn't have been a problem, but I'd bet on the flaw that just burnt out with regular use. Few pipe smokers ever see this, but among many thousands of pipes, I'm sure it happens.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Wouldn't a normal person stop when they noticed they were smoking briar? Plus just watching the video made my tongue hurt. Tongue torture?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This video is excruciating. Three minutes of streaming for 20 seconds' worth of viewing pictures. I am not a video person for this reason. However, that pipe is very sad. I imagine a lot of these burnt out pipes are caused by people being forced to smoke outside quickly instead of puff away at their desks.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I think this is probably a flaw in the briar that invited the burnout. The other possibility would be someone who started smoking a pipe but did it in a frenetic way that found an irregularity in the briar that otherwise wouldn't have been a problem, but I'd bet on the flaw that just burnt out with regular use. Few pipe smokers ever see this, but among many thousands of pipes, I'm sure it happens.
this is what the video uploader says "This what happens if you don't break in a new pipe, You hot pipe it, You clench the crud out of the stem, don't let it rest. Briar is a natural material and you need to break in a new pipe and build a protective layer of carbon. Let them rest and don't smoke 8 bowls a day like a furnace through the same pipe....this is a friend in town. He paid for one, burnt it and I gave him three more that ended the same way. I won't even talk about pipes with him anymore."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, the guy must be a real obsessive overachiever. He did it over and over. I suspect he replaces a lot of clutches if he drives manual shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.