PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
I just acquired 2 Czech tools and a Yellow Bole tool from an estate sale. They haven't been used in over 20yrs, per the granddaughter, and they were thrown in a box and forgotten about with cake - that won't come off with a scratch of the nail - and what looks to be like coffee stains, not to mention 20yrs+ of built up dirt/dust (the box had no lid).
I was just going to use some soap, water and good ol'elbow grease hoping it would suffice, when my wife suggested CLR due to the time frame they have been neglected for.
That's when I thought I should pose the question to you fine folks - have you been in a similar situation? If so, how did you clean them? And even if you haven't been in this situation your feedback would also be appreciated! Cheers!

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Sparks - Agreed with the Czech's :D but I really like the Yellow Bole and haven't found another. Plus these were thrown in for free with the 3 pipes and 6-pipe pipe rack with humidor I purchased; just thought I might as well clean them up for use since I have them. :)

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I acquired an old Czech tool a while back when I purchased a pipe rack and it was dirty and a little rusty. I treated it like I do vintage DE razors that are stubborn. Very carefully I took some "barbers friend" cleaner and mixed it with some water to make a paste and very gently took a toothbrush to it. If you scrub too hard or too much you can remove the finish so be carful. I don't see why CLR wouldn't work but I have never used it so who knows how it would react to the finish and/or the metals. Good luck!

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Coalsmoke - Thank you for the response. I don't know how I completely forgot about alcohol, thanks!

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Redbeard - I don't have barbers friend and the finish is what I'm most worried about with the Yellow Bole; it seems to be made of aluminum. But I'm not sure if that's accurate.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Redbeard - I don't have barbers friend and the finish is what I'm most worried about with the Yellow Bole; it seems to be made of aluminum. But I'm not sure if that's accurate.
I would risk it with that stuff then. I would go with some alcohol and a soft toothbrush if it were me then.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Sparks - Thank you for that suggestion. I think I'm going to start off with the boiling water then use soap and water and finish it off with some alcohol for good measure.
Coalsmoke - our camera is horrible but I'm working on getting a decent one by the end of the year. :)
Redbeard - Thank you!
Thank you all for the responses and suggestions, I really appreciate it! Cheers! :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
An old thread I know but I cannot belive someone is asking for advice on cleaning a pipe tool!
Next up will be a question as how best to store pipe cleaners, vertically or horizontally :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bigpond, it matters not whether the post is 10 minutes old or 10 years old, the banility of the question sticks out like a sore thumb.
I have been reading through many old posts as I am still a relative newcomer to pipesmoking (8 months) and have found many to be most interesting and informative but to ask how to clean a pipe tool really has to be a joke.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am infatuated with the plain old pipe nail and horseshoe nail as pipe tools. But at the recent pipe show, I bought a nifty little stainless steel tool with tamper, pick and scoop, that folds like a pocket knife. I like it better than then Czech tools I have, a little heavier and nicer feel. So however you clean this estate items, just want to recommend a stainless steel folding pipe tool. Mine was only $12, and worth it.

I would recommend soaking the pipe tool in a mixture of janitorial grade ammonia and Dawn dishwashing soap. Unless the tool is obviously brass, then just use alcohol. ammonia discolors brass. You may have to soak it a while. But, then scrub with a toothbrush, and rinse, preferably in distilled water, and dry only with animal furs. Be sure and twist clockwise while drying.
BTW, I only ever store my pipecleaners horizontally. They warp if you store them vertically. Then you have to throw the warped ones away. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Lighten up Jay, if the Man wants to clean it it's OK. Reminds me of the Man I worked with who was waiting on his ride to work(carpooling) it was raining, raincoat on, brown lunch in coat pocket, the evil crapola hits him. He goes to outhouse, yes in those days we had them. Undressed, grunts and groans. Finished he accidentally Knocks his raincoat in hole. Ride comes horn is blowing, blowing, he says to ride I'm trying to get raincoat out of the shitter. They say Are you crazy throw it away. His reply I can't my lunch is in it. Now I wouldn't eat that lunch or clean that tool, but to each his own.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know where the conversation is going, but I'll say that when I am responsible for the darkening of pipe tools, or with inherited tools that have been around for the better part of a century, I like the darkening as patina and don't give it any thought. It's earned "character." With estate tools, maybe evoke the Poltergeists. I always store my pipecleaners at the diagonal...to ward off the Poltergeists.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, with both the estate pipe tools and the raincoat down the hole, we are into the finer points.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's rather like saying "I just finished rebuilding my 1961 Triumph Bonneville from scratch and am wondering how to clean the screwdriver I used to tighten up the exhaust clamps" bonkers :crazy:
But as they say, in America anything goes.
BTW, pipecleaners should always be kept upside down, no ifs or buts but always! I was given that valuable snippet by a chap I met whilst out haggis hunting.
Regards,
Jay.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Bigpond, it matters not whether the post is 10 minutes old or 10 years old, the banility of the question sticks out like a sore thumb.
Most men, with nothing to do, will sit around thinking about cleaning their tool.
Hardly fair play old boy. Haven't you something else to do than stir a cold pot?
Especially if there is no pot to stir, or the pot has gone cold.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don't see anything odd about cleaning up an old pipe tool....why not? I've read posts from guys on this forum who clean and reuse pipe cleaners, yes you read that correctly, so cleaning up an old Czech tool is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.