PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Have a Czech pipe tool. Have figured what the tamper is for. Believe I understand the purpose of the spoon. But what is the correct/designed use for the pick? Lately I have been using to stir as I reach the end of the bowl, but do not know if that is its intent. Thanks again!

Jan 8, 2013
I believe it's meant for stirring the ash and/or the tobacco. There were a few bowls I've packed too tight and it came in handy to loosen the tobacco so I could get a descent draw. Little thing came in handy and I wish I still had it. I purchased a new pipe tool that didn't have the pick and gave the Czech tool to a coworker who started smoking a pipe. I may have to get another :)

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Sometimes I'll pack a little too tightly and poke a hole from the top straight to the draw hole and that usually loosens the draw up considerably.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, stirring a lit bowl and using it lightly after the scoop if there are pieces of tobacco stuck in the airway at

the bottom of the bowl. It is certainly the Czech tool feature I use least, but I do use it. To the huge amusement

of my fellow Forums members, I once advised caution when using it near your face for eye safety. Yes it was a

slightly neurotic remark (don't stick your table fork in your eye, type thing) but still a point to keep in mind,

when you're tamping your pipe, folding the newspaper, and sipping your tea all at once, as some of us do.

Petting your dog.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
That pick is about the only tool that I use every bowl. After knocking out my used up ash, I use it to pick out bits from bottom of the bowl. I then pull the stem (army mount so can be pulled hot) and use the pick to ream out the draft hole. Shake the stem and blow the moisture out and she's clean and ready for the next bowl. I don't use the tamper much. Prefer my pinky. I use the spoon sometimes to smooth out cake. Especially after smoking some burley. Czech tool is the only one I've owned and it's a great simple design. One of these days I want to get a nicer tool with a pipe knife on it for reaming and cutting tobacco. I've seen some nice ones under $20 but always sold out. I ream my pipe about every three weeks so it would get good use. The spoon tends to chip the cake when it gets real thick.
Great question about my favorite tool!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use it to free up the draw if its to restricted, but I also use it at the end of each bowl. After knocking out my ash, I'll take the poker and stir it around the bowl to loosen up any tobacco left in the bottom of the bowl.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've also found it useful in clearing a blocked airway, which can happen when I'm extinguishing a pipe, sticking it in a jacket pocket, walking/sitting etc, and go to relight it. It's not long enough for all pipes, but it works for all but one of the pipes I carry around.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I use the pick mostly to open up a tight pack, but I also use it when cleaning out my cobs - with the shank extension in the bottom of the bowl, there are a lot of nooks and crannies to deal with. Do be careful, though - I did poke right through the bottom of one of my cobs (evidently not one with the wood insert...). It still smokes just fine.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I owe this tip to another of our members, and regrettably I cannot remember who offered it. It often works for me...
Every now and then a poorly packed bowl will not light evenly across the surface no matter how you tilt the pipe.

Use the poker to create a draft hole (white dot) down the side opposite of where the ember (red) stubbornly keeps drawing the match's flame.

PipeToolPickUse_zps537e9763.jpg

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
I use it for stirring dottle before my last, sad, despairing attempts to relight a smoked-out bowl. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; when it doesn't, it's not the pick's fault. I've had less success using it for jousting, pole vaulting, tracheotomies, and seed-drilling, but that could easily be lack of practice.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Every now and then a poorly packed bowl will not light evenly across the surface no matter how you tilt the pipe.

Use the poker to create a draft hole (white dot) down the side opposite of where the ember (red) stubbornly keeps drawing the match's flame.
@cortez Thanks! Excellent tip - I never though of that and I have that issue periodically and its frustrating.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice pipe knife. I think you've sold a few of those with this post, perhaps to me.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I've been using the pick to test if the bowl is spent and to mix it up a bit to finish it off. After mixing the bottom of the bowl it does seem to get hot more easily...

Status
Not open for further replies.