PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello everyone! It has been a while since I last posted on here. I read a lot of threads but dont end up participating as much as I would have liked to in the past. I'm hoping to change that in the near future :)
Anyways, I've been smoking pipes for about a year. So far I've sampled a variety if tobacco. However, one of my (currently) preferred tobaccos at the moment is Mississippi River by SPC, which I'm not even sure the grouping of. One thing I don't want to do is limit the tobacco options on my pipe smoking horizon. With that being said, do any of you have suggestions regarding ends that may be similar to MR? Or perhaps different tobaccos that might be similar but different at the same time (if that makes sense)?
Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
It's technically an English blend with some perique mixed in. If I understand you right you might want to try some Frog Morton on the Bayou. Its a Balkan with perique.
Edit: It's also red Virginia based so you could look for blends that are red Virginia forward. I like Hal O' the Wynd from Rattray's it's a Red vaper with some Kentucky.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Awesome! I didn't know it had perique in it, but then again the only other perique blend I've had is H&H's AJ's VaPer. I've heard about the Hal blend though, will have to check it out. Thanks again!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
book - This blend is more notable for its Latakia to me - the Perique is less prominent, kind of like Dunhill Nightcap. But MR is a pressed crumble cake, so it's puffs slower than the ribbons, again such as Nightcap. There are a lot of delicious Lat-heavy cakes - Hermit's Captain Earle series has a bunch, but the Perique amplifying the Latakia is present only in several of them. If the Perique isn't a big thing for you, Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding is similar but toned down a bit.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.