PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

munday

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
In my office smoking Lane BS-005 which has some of my favorite Latakia tobacco in it - smoking my Erik Nording pipe. Just ordered from P&C 34 ozs of The Dean which

of course - has Latakia in it and 25 ozs of Lane BS-005 - they included a free oz of The Professor (yes - has Latakia in it). Have over 115 ozs of my all time favorite -

Lancer Slices. If you have a favorite blend heavy with Latakia - would be interested to hear about it.

I just invested in storage jars - 11" high and 4" mouth with metal lids - 7 of them - so I can store my fav tobaccos. FYI got them at Hobby Lobby for 50% off - $3.40 each.

Leaving now for the Tobacco Exchange to meet with some Pipe and Cigar loving friends. Will check for feedback later today. Thanks! Semper Fi

munday

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
gigger48 - thanks will give them a smoke!

woodsroad - its a beautiful thing - awesome! I have a closet in my office where they will be stored.

I am looking forward to having a selection like yours - thanks for the inspiration!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I really enjoy McClelland's Blue Mountain (aka Balkan Blue)! I suggest you grab a tin - it's a unique latakia blend in my humble opinion and worth the try.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The Lancers Slices are a new favorite of mine (thanks hiplainsdrifter!).
If you were to add a touch of Orientals to this blend you would come close

to Balkan Sterling, from Sterling Tobacco.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Billy Budd will put some hair on your chest, more from the burley than the latakia, I think. Some folks don't need or want hair on their chest though. :puffy:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Honestly, I have yet to find a Latakia-heavy blend that I don't like...
Lancer's Slices is quite nice, as are several of the H&H blends - Daybreak, Victorian Stroll, House of Lords. I'm currently working on a sample of Samuel Gawith's Commonwealth, which is very tasty. Black House remains a perennial favorite as well.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
G.L. Pease Gaslight, C&D Pirate Kake, H&H Magnum Opus and, for kicks, C&D Mississippi Mud. The others listed above are also outstanding smokes. Enjoy.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
GL Pease Abingdon is monumentally excellent. Gaslight too is superb. Odyssey very good. Westminster (which I have not tried) is supposed to be excellent too. One of my favorite latakia blends is SG's Squadron Leader, not as lat-heavy as Abingdon but beautifully balanced. H&H Blackhouse in my opinion is one of the all-time great tobaccos available now. Bonne pipe!

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm liking the following right now: HH latakia flake, Magnum opus, vintage Syrian, and c&d black duck. But, my favorites seem to change with time.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Three Oaks Syrian, Blue Mountain, Black House, to name a few. The more Lat the better. I started out with VAPers, but quickly made the transition to English and

Balkan blends after trying, oddly enough, Frog Morton Cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GLP Westminster, I'd smoke it soon after purchase. I let mine age for a year or 18 months and the Latakia really diminished. I like it, but the Lat is very subtle. There are so many good English/Lat blends, you really have to try around to find a favorite, in whatever price range you like. There are a number of good bulk blends that have generous Lat, but you have to find the ones that float your boat. Nightcap is always a good default blend.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I really like Samovar. It's a McClelland blend; one of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club Blends. It contains Syrian Latakia. If you find that you like it, cellar some, as only McClelland's and Mac Baren have and stock. I rather doubt we'll see any Syrian again, when their stocks run out.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
C&D: Star of the East, Engine 99, Mountain Camp, and Billy Budd are terrific.
GLPease: Gaslight

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Just added Billy Budd to my Latakia favorites list. The cigar leaf adds a welcome but different flavor compared to other English mixtures and the smoke is very creamy/buttery. I find it a rich, medium strength tobacco blend.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Bulk blends: Hearth & Home Larry's Blend, Balkan Supreme, McClelland 5110 Dark English, HH Vintage Syrian (have bought in bulk from B&Ms)

Tinned Blends: GL Pease Maltese Falcon, Bengal Slices, Hearth & Home Cerberus, Balkan Saieni (available in bulk from cup o' joes)
As you can tell, I prefer my Latakia blends to be oriental forward. I am still new into my pipe smoking explorations, but there are a lot of good Latakia blends, many of them available in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.