PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Recently while trying to train my palette to enjoy the same spicy foods my wife enjoys I've found that I really enjoy putting Frank's Red Hot on just about everything (no pun intended) but I've found that it really make me susceptible to tongue bite with my beloved Virginias. Anyone else find a reaction between their tobacco and spicier foods?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My worst tongue bite and mouth burn was with over-flavored holiday aro blends. Heavy peppermint toothpaste an hour later really livened the experience. It hurt. I'm favorable to hot sauce as long as it is calibrated to allow me to taste the food with it, so it enhances the food flavor and doesn't obliterate it. Spicy food has never made pipe tobacco bite or burn worse for me, as it happens. Tobasco is an excellent level of heat. Some of the habanero pepper sauces and other high-test peppers can knock your hat off. I'm not a glutton for punishment. If it makes me sweat, even a little, I don't need it. At a Thai restaurant in Bethesda, Md., the waiter politely advised me not to eat the little green hot pepper in the soup. It was just for flavoring, and the flavor was good. If I'd eaten it, I'm sure it would have spoiled the meal for me. I guess if you were rude to the waiter, he could forget to tell you about it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I make all of my own food spicy, either by cooking it that way or adding hot sauce when it is a large dish shared with the family. Sometimes obscenely spicy. Personally, it has never caused tongue bite. I wonder if Cosmic is not onto something, if you are sensitive to spicy food, maybe the tongue bite is just waiting to catch up to you.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I make hot sauce as a hobby/side business. Never noticed any correlation or issue with tongue bite when I smoke, although my sauces are pretty hot and used sparingly. As stated above, it's likely the acidity.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife visited the Tobasco plant, I think on an island off Louisiana. The McIllaney family, no doubt misspelled. My late wife taught daughters of the family at St. Mary's College in Raleigh, N.C., where they had an ever-present security detail to prevent kidnapping. Tobasco is beloved and a huge business. The owner said he never minded seeing a bottle nearly empty with old browned sauce because it meant someone would have to buy another bottle soon. A friend keeps it in his car for meals away from home. Lovely stuff.

erratum

Lurker
Jun 30, 2017
I prefer flavor over heat. That being said, I've not had issue with a few drops of Tobasco on my eggs & a bowl of Sam Gawith VA after, while MacBarren would bite me no matter the breakfast selection. I think it has more to do with the blend & one's cadence, than the sauce. ymmv, of course.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Crash, no I don't have a website (yet). I sold at local farmer's market a few years, and have four recipes "approved" by local food department at Virginia Tech. Farmer's market got to be a PIA, and work has been crazy this year so I put that endeavor on hold.
I like flavor over heat as well, but it just so happens that I think hab, ghost, and similar are really fruity tasting. I usually add fresh ginger, lemongrass, garlic, etc. to various sauces.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
My favorite hot sauces (and I love them all) are made with ghost peppers (Bhut Jolokia), and I have a few bottles of a special sauce made entirely from fermented Carolina Reaper (cross of the Naga and La Soufriere peppers). I grow my own Bhut and Carolinas. As you can tell, I like my food spicy. That said, one of my favorite sauces is Tabasco.
I don't notice any changes with tongue bite associated with eating these sauces, but it's possibly because the Reapers have just about finished dissolving my tongue.
CW(-.-. .--)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I just had some legit Sichuan cold noodles that made my bald spot sweat, and my dessert of Barbary Coast is smooth as silk

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I only like Frank’s or Tabasco on specific foods, and I never switch. Chicken or anything fried, Frank’s. Bloody Mary’s or gumbo, Tabasco.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
The sweating means the peppers are working, haha.

I don't think I ever noticed a correlation in that order. The other way around, after getting tongue bite, spicy or even salty food not so good. But everyone's different to some degree and if you know it to be the case then listen to your body..

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I've never made the hot sauce/tongue bite connection, but I do love some hot sauce.
If you've never tried Yellowbird Habanero Condiment, look for it. It is delicious.

I also recently scored a bottle of The Last Dab Reduxx. Spicy!

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I love hot sauce and never noticed any correlation. I would say the Frank's is a very vinegary sauce (in my opinion) and not my personal favourite! Maybe the acid in the vinegar is causing the bite more than the capsicum? Just a thought - I have no proof! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.