PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
Hey everyone. New pipe smoker with a question. I was watching a YouTube how-to video by dagnerperformance and it was mentioned that for him, certain tobacco brands (MacBaren and Dunhill), regardless of type of tobacco would cause tongue bite. What would cause that? His claim about mouth pH playing a big part in tongue bite makes a lot of sense but has anyone else heard of such a thing? Thanks in advance.

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
I believe almost every new pipe smoker would run into tongue bite. It passes through time and accumulation of experience.

Don't worry about that,my friend.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
In the past any straight va would give me tounge bite. It was the ph and reacted like a mild acid. Since I started back I have only tried one straight va and it was blockade runner and a navy kake. Soaked in rum and pressed. It did not give any bite while smoking so I am hoping my body chemistry has changed and I can smoke straight va.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There are a couple of folks on here who have a sensitivity to Red Virginias, specifically. It appears to be exactly the sort of body chemistry reaction that you're describing. Makes perfect sense to me - I'm sensitive to the bitter compounds in broccoli, a friend of mine thinks that cilantro tastes like soap, and there are certain chemicals that some people simply can't smell. This is one more example of the wonders of genetics and biochemistry.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
how-to video by dagnerperformance and it was mentioned that for him, certain tobacco brands (MacBaren and Dunhill), regardless of type of tobacco would cause tongue bite.
Sad news for dagner!
MacBaren and Dunhill are two of my favorite brands.
I know I have to be cautious with the Mac Baren aros, but I couldn't get EMP to bite if my life depended on it.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I don't think the brand is the issue , I get bit by Va #1 but I can smoke ODF all day . Royal Yacht can bite but EMP never does for me . What got me though the first few months was slowing the pace, and Biotene rinse ( now ACT makes a dry mouth rinse that is 3 dollars cheaper. )

Status
Not open for further replies.