Tags:   

Pipe tobacco taste vs Cigar taste

(36 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ravenwolfe
  • Latest reply from ravenwolfe
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.First things first i am a complete "noob" to the pipe.I have smoked cigars off and on for years and i have never had any trouble "tasting" the differences in cigars (or tasting the sweetness of the same cigars or smelling the room note).I have only smoked Captain Black Original but as of yet i can not seem to taste any sweetness nor can i really seem to smell the room note.I have been smoking it for about a week and i enjoy the calming effect of taking the time to slow down a bit but i see all the reviews and i can't help but feel I'm doing this wrong.I am getting better at packing a bowl and each time it seems to stay lit longer and longer so i see the progress i am makeing just would like to get the taste of the pipe tobacco instead of it kinda tasting like a mis between a cheap cigar and a cigerette. PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

welcome aboard. To my mind Captain Black is a heavily cased blend. You may want to consider something alomg the libes of a straight Virginia to get your palate accustomed to pipe tobacco. I've recommended Orlik Golden Slices to newer pipers. In my opinion, it is a very nice blend, good room note and you should be able to taste the difference from what you are smoking now.
    I'm sure other good recommendations will follow this note.
    Good luck and happy smoke rings.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

get the taste of the pipe tobacco instead of it kinda tasting like a mis between a cheap cigar and a cigerette

Get some better tobacco. Captain Black is to pipe tobacco what Swischer Sweets are to cigars. Look at the left side of the site, there is a list of sponsors, most if not all sell sampler packs. I'm sure you could find something you like.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been so long... I've forgotten what Cigar leaf tasted like.

Captain Black is an "okay" tobacco. It's very popular because it's extremely mild and super easy to smoke. The area it's lacking in is Flavor. It's more of a perfume tobacco. I say perfume because it smells great to everyone else around you, but you'd be hard pressed to sense the room note while you're smoking it.

If you're looking for true flavor and sweetness then you've come to the right place.

For sweetness you're going to look for tobaccos with a fair amount of Virginia leaf in them. Their sugar content is higher and this extends to the smoke. With the extra sugar in the leaf it will burn hotter if not kept in check. Puff slow. Enjoy.

For in your face flavor anything with some Latakia or Oriental leaf in it will be very easy to notice. These are all about flavor and distinct aroma.

Burleys usually provide a base for blends with their subtle nutty flavors.

Perique will be spicy-sweet. A lot more spicy than sweet.

I'd look into sampler packs since you're in that awkward stage of really not knowing what you will like.

Or you can pitch flavor profiles and we can see if a blend matches what you're looking for.

Happy Smoking.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

pipesandcigars.com is what I typically use. They have some good samplers. Click here

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Captain Black is to pipe tobacco what Swischer Sweets are to cigars."

I couldn't agree with you more, Uber. Ravenwolfe, the key is to start with good leaf. Add to that a decent pipe and then practice, practice, practice. You'll get it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

I have allready ordered some Halflings Leaf from pipeinhand i am awaitig that to arrive.It is very encourageing to know that its not neccaseraily something im not doing right to be able to smel and taste what i am smoking.As far as flavor profiles im not sure exactly what i will like.I have seen several flavors that I would like to try (mainly vanilla and rum flavors) but wih my experiance so far i have been reluctant to move forward untill i know I am smoking properly so that i can enjoy it as it is intended.In other things Cigars,food,wine etc i do perfer the upfront in your face flavors that say "here I am deal with me " lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I couldn't agree with you more, Uber.

I thought it was a good comparison.
    but wih my experience so far i have been reluctant to move forward untill i know I am smoking proper so that i can enjoy it as it is intended

It's all trial and error. Pipe smoking varies from person to person. What Works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. Just get some good tobacco and keep doing what your doing. If your smoke is still sub par, try a different technique. Don't be afraid to smoke good tobacco badly. By that I mean don't get upset if you buy something and it smokes bad. Just keep trying, you will find what works. Just be patient.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't keep saying "get good tobacco" and expect new pipers to know what the heck you're talking about.

Raven, PM me you're address and I'll send you some In your face tobacco. Flavor you can't miss. If you'd like.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Also, what kind of pipe are you smoking?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

Spartan PM sent

Uber I have started out with a FESS 14" churchwarden.nothing special it seems to draw and smoke well to my knowledge.I chose the churchwarden not only because it is aesteticly pleasing to my eye but because my research has found numerous times that they smoke much cooler and that the taste is better from cooler smoke

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uber,love your comparison of Captain Black to Swisher Sweets! Great stuff!

The guys are right - get some better tobacco. I am guessing you did not smoke drugstore cigars - don't smoke drugstore pipe tobacco, either.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

Jud, no i didnt lol

I have anothe question If i need to try all these different types and brands untill it clicks and I'Ve seen that i really shouldnt be useing the same pipe for all different kinds of tobacco is a good cleaning between blends enough or do i needto buy a bunch of cheeap cob pipes?

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"You can't keep saying "get good tobacco" and expect new pipers to know what the heck you're talking about."

I meant this as an agreement to what others have already said. The suggestions given were good ones; quality leaf with good, natural flavors. I'll try to be more clear next time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

you can't keep saying "get good tobacco" and expect new pipers to know what the heck you're talking about.

Good point. I'll throw out some brands that are good. Cornell & Diehl, Hearth & Home, Hearth & Home Landmark Series,Hearth & HOme Marquee Series, MacBaren, and McClelland. Just to name a few

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Uber I have started out with a FESS 14" churchwarden.nothing special it seems to draw and smoke well to my knowledge.I chose the churchwarden not only because it is aesteticly pleasing to my eye but because my research has found numerous times that they smoke much cooler and that the taste is better from cooler smoke

Churchwardens do typically smoke cool, however FESS is a pretty cheap brand. If it smokes good for you thats all that matters. But you may want to look into getting a better pipe if you are serious about pipe smoking. Peterson, Stanwell, and Savinelli are all manufactures with good quality pipes with decent prices

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Oh Mr.Brog is a good company as well, very affordable, and they are a site sponsor. To check them out click here

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

Yes i definitly will be moving up once i can get the basics down.Really didnt want to destroy a good pipe because I smoked it to hot lol.I really like the looks of the Macqueen's and I have read they are generallypretty good once you actually get it that is.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A quick search of this forum will show you how TERRIBLE MacQueen's customer service is (I know they're a site sponsor, but it's true). I've owned a MacQueen and was not impressed with their product either. It's a "costume" pipe; great for accessorizing a ren fair outfit, but it's not a serious smoking instrument.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Really didnt want to destroy a good pipe because I smoked it to hot lol.I really like the looks of the Macqueen's and I have read they are generally pretty good once you actually get it that is.

I understand. My first few pipes were cheap too. Medico, DR.Grabow, and Kaywoodie, are cheap briars. They not the best smoke, but they are briar, and are cheap. You could start up a nice rotation with them. As for MacQueens, I have heard good and bad things about how they smoke. But like I said before, pipe smoking varies from person to person. As for getting one, my advice would be to get one from a third party. I know pipesandcigars.com sells them, but I don't know what they have in stock at the moment. Other sites have them too. Browse through the site sponsors(the are on the left of the site) you might find one.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. tre123

tre123

Login to Send PM

As a new pipe smoker the only thing I can add is let your pipe rest. And possibly get a few pipes for a rotation . I found this out the hard way. Lol. These guys know what they are talking about

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D Billy Budd...the best of both worlds.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

As a new pipe smoker the only thing I can add is let your pipe rest. And possibly get a few pipes for a rotation

+1
    I can't believe we forgot this. You should rest your pipe for a day after smoking it. Some say rest it a day for every bowl smoked. So If you smoke it three times in one day, then rest it for three days. Personally I just rest it for one day regardless. It's up to you. A good starter rotation would be three or more pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I know it seems like a lot to take in, but you'll get the hang of it. We were all where you are once. Lucky for you, you have us. Not everyone has this much pipe smoking knowledge and experience at their disposal. I have been smoking for almost a year, and have learned so much from this forum. In fact I like this forum so much I decided to become a moderator. If you have any questions, just ask. Someone is bound to have the answer. A little research helps too. When I started smoked I looked up pipe types, blend types, tobacco types, everything I could.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

I just stopped at a gas station and picked up a Missouri Meeschaum corn cob so i at least can rest my other pipe

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To add to Uber's list of good brands of pipe tobacco:

Samuel Gawith: I like Best Brown Flake, Balkan Flake, and Squadron Leader

Peterson: Old Dublin is a staple for me. I also enjoy Sherlock Holmes. University Flake and Irish Flake have a nice taste, but too much nicotine for me.

Benjamin Hartwell Signature

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just stopped at a gas station and picked up a Missouri Meeschaum corn cob so i at least can rest my other pipe

Ahh, a cob. Good buy. They are actually good smokers. Only buy Missouri Meerschaum cobs though. They are the best

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

For cigar smokers looking into pipes my first question is always "what do you smoke?" if don't smoke aromatic cigars then why start out smoking aromatic pipe tobaccos? Try smoking Virginia's and English blends from tins. You can get a few tins for the same relative price as five average cigars. I guess this generalization may not be true in all states. Anyways, I cannot find a single drug store cigar worth burning. I cannot recall smoking any pipe tobacco from a drug store that was particularly notable either. There are a couple that are ok, but for the most part they are sub-par compcared to premium tins.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

One thing I forgot to ask, is your filtered? If it is, try taking the filter out and see how your smoke is. Some people like filters, but most of us don't use them

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

After seeing this thread, I am quite glad that I wasn't the only one here with this kind of issue/problem with pipe smoking (Also saves me from making a thread about it in the first place ).
    With that said, I'll take the advice from here and "get good tobacco" then.

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -Sam Slick, The Clockmaker
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. tiltjlp

tiltjlp

Login to Send PM

Since you just bought your first cob, you might want to read my Corncob Primer. The general information applies to any pipe, although there is a lot of corncob specific advice too.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

John : The CobFather : Have Cobs, Will Smoke

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. 85royals

85royals

Login to Send PM

I went out and got 1-Q for my first tobacco and did not and still do not like it.. I do like the Capt Black white.. These are made by the same manufacture and are closely related.. I did a few things to get my taste to what I like.. I just bought what was on sale and OZpacks at the local B&M found I like Latakia blends a LOT and I find my self enjoying the cigar leaf blends also.. Billy Bud is good cigar wrapper in it.. its all personal taste and a lot of trying all sorts of stuff.. I was a pipe smoker a year before I had my first cigar and now I enjoy the ease and non complication of a cigar cut it light it smoke it not a lot of fiddling with a cigar and I find my self being streaky I will go 2 weeks with out smoking any thing much a bowl or two in a pipe maybe a DeNobili or Avanti cigar then I will go for a month smoking 8 to 10 bowls a week or I will have a stretch of high end cigars Gurkha and Under Crown are a couple favs lately
    I guess I'm kinda weird I dont know thats just me

I Am what I Am
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

I already took out the filter and that did help with the taste alot.Im thinking that I just have a cheap flavoeless tobacco and need to get to the actual tobacco shop not the beer and smokes shop.In other news I did rather enjoy my smoke last night out of my cob.I only had to relight it a few times and it smokedked better than my churchwarden and didnt seem to get as hot (the bowl that is)Im guessing this has alot to do with a properly packed pipe?

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I only had to relight it a few times and it smokedked better than my churchwarden and didnt seem to get as hot (the bowl that is)Im guessing this has alot to do with a properly packed pipe?

It could be that you are packing it better. Or it could be that your cob is a better pipe. Don't let their price fool you, Missouri Meerschaum cobs are great pipes. There is a reason they have been in business so long.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't let the fact that your corncob pipe didn't get as hot as your briar does fool you into thinking you packed it that much better.

Cobs just naturally breath better than briars. They don't really keep heat as a briar would, and they absorb/dissipate moisture faster.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

Either way it was a better smoke not having to fumble around and light it over and over

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   carytobacco, pascal, philobeddoe, papajoe, woodsroad, mattsem, judcole, kingjon