PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
So with my recent medical diagnosis I've discovered that my tastes are completely different than they used to be. I find that middle of the road or strong tobaccos are just too much for me...So either full bodied or blends with anything but a mild amount of nicotine. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations you could give for something that is low in nicotine...it can be natural or a lightly cased tobacco, I'm not particularly picky...thanks!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hey Geoffry! Glad to see you back and posting again! That means you must be "on the mend"! :clap:
I don't know what you like in terms of tobacco blend types, but check out SmokingPipes.com's "Tobacco Locator".

The button is located on the right side of the navigation bar, and you get a "drop-down" search tool on the left side of the page.

tobaccolocatorscreen-600x490.jpg

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Ilsted's Own Golden Flake is a very very mild pure virginia that will not bother you and it is quite nice, I think.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Most American OTC blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Captain Black & Sir Walter Raleigh are low in nicotine and they taste good. Of course, I don't know what country you live in so I'm recommending these blends thinking you may live in the US. I wish the country that the member lives in could be posted to just below their avatar. It sure would make it easier for pipe & tobacco recommendation threads like this one.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
For a light treat try the following
Peterson Sherlock Holmes is a light Virginia with a fruity top

Fribourg and Treyer vintage flake is a nice light Virginia

Fribourg and Treyer golden mixture for a bit nuttier

Germain's plum cake is Virginia with rum and anise

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
All excellent suggestions...thanks guys. Right now I am smoking Stokkebye's 4th generation 1931, a navy flake and very full bodied to my tastes...the nicotine is either high or I'm sensitive. I love prince Albert and will definitely revist it. I live in good ol' Houston Texas, should be no problem finding it...and a good outing for me and my daughter...she loves going to the pipe store with me. When we were at the briar and the burley in Bloomington she, Matt and Mike would chat away while I drooled over the hundreds upon hundreds of pipes...one of the best stores in the country...imo.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I used to poopoo the OTC blends as well as cased/topped mixtures but now I think a new appreciation is in order.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
PA (on your list already), Dunhill Flake (straight sweet virginia), and The Virginia Cream come to mind reading your description.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I find Orlik Golden Sliced to not be much in the nic department and a rather light taste as well. I also second the F&T Golden Mixture. Have you tried Lanes Burley Light Witbout Bite? Fairly easy to come by and great taste also low on the nic side of things but has a really nice body to the smoke that I think adds to the satisfaction of smoking it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Right now I am smoking Stokkebye's 4th generation 1931, a navy flake and very full bodied to my tastes...the nicotine is either high or I'm sensitive.
1931 is my go-to aro, in part because the casing is subdued and the nic is plentiful. If you want low-nic, try any of the Sutliff Private Stock blends. To me they're like smoking hot air, I think even if you took a deep cigarette-style inhale you wouldn't feel any nic.
PA (on your list already), Dunhill Flake (straight sweet virginia), and The Virginia Cream come to mind reading your description.
Some Dunhills may seem light on nic by comparison to RY and Nightcap, but I haven't smoked one yet that didn't have a respectable nic hit. I'm currently going through a tin of Virginia Cream and it has a respectable nic too. If not I would've dumped it after the first bowl. As for Prince Albert, I disagree that he should be let out of the can ;)

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I've grown rather fond of Sutliff's Edward G Robinson blend. It's a light aro with a nutty Burley and Black Cavendish flavor with just the right amount of Latakia added to give it a slight kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.