PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Hmm any good low nicotine pipe tobaccos you can recommend? In my case there's many things that most diabetics can't or shouldn't do or that most would have problems with that u don't. I get tattoos and suffer no ill side effects. I still eat my favorite sugary snacks I just time it out and exercise. Are there any other pipe smokers with diabetes?

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
My father is a diabetic, he doesn't smoke for that reason. Your putting yourself at much higher risk for a lot of health complications. I hate to sound like a commercial, but you REALLY need to talk to your doctor on the matter. Don't read articles on google just go see a professional.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
As a diabetic you needn't worry about the sugar content of tobacco (unless you eat it! LOL) - the sugars will burn off as it is smoked.
BUT if I were diabetic I would not smoke.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have been insulin dependent for close to forty years now and I can say that what I eat daily has everything to do with blood sugar control (along with activity). If there is any change regarding change in blood sugars regarding nicotine, it is unnoticeable to me.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
The problem with a diabetic smoking is not the sugar in the tobacco, but the fact that smoking temporarily constricts blood vessels. Diabetes has a detrimental effect on circulation and it seems that any constriction of blood vessels in someone who has limited blood flow to such vital organs as the kidneys should be avoided. Disclaimer: As I have no letters after my name, any opinions I have should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
I can't see any negative short-term impact of pipe smoking on blood sugar levels..... insulin-dependent diabetic who tests at least 4-5 times a day. Likewise on blood pressure.... if nicotine is indeed a vasoconstrictor it hasn't seemed to raise my BP. If anything, my BP has improved as my cigar and pipe-smoking has increased

Now, today MDs are trained to parrot the no-smoking mantra and as it applies to cigarette smoking, their caution may be reasonable. What hard evidence I have seen concerning the health impact of pipe smoking (and I can't claim to have seen or understand it all) doesn't frighten me enough to get me to quit.

That's my personal judgment; at 73 the parameters are easier to calculate. What I might do at 43, before diabetes and hypertension set in would probably be different.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you are diabetic you would have a blood meter. Take your blood sugar before smoking and then an hour afterwards. Do this with several different tobaccos and compare the relative change in your levels.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I think that nicotine gets blamed for everything. If someone could come up with a way to blame the sinking of the Titanic, they would!!! Short answer is No! It would be like saying beer batter fish can get you drunk. I am diabetic, type 2. And to be honest, since I have been smoking a pipe my levels are way more normal than before. Now I am not giving the credit to tobacco or nicotine, but maybe the relaxed state I get from it. I would be more concerned with eating habits and exercise rate. But hey everyone is different.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Don't come to this forum looking for medical advice. If you are diabetic, you should be under the care of a physician who specializes in treating diabetes. Heed the advice that doctor gives you. You may seek to rationalize alternative behavior, but your body will not be fooled into remaining healthy.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I exercise a lot, and still eat 1 or 2 moonpies a day and my blood sugar stays normal. I like jitterbugdudes idea of using my meter. I'd have to plan it out though, because my insurance only pays out to pay for about 3 test strips a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.