Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philous

Lurker
Jul 30, 2016
hello,

i am new in pipe smoking and i'd like to know if there are big risks like tobacco addiction or mouth and tongue or even lip cancer.

Thank you for your help!

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
the only addiction you can get from it, is collecting more pipes.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I had recently took to the hobby too, and i have had no problems with the pipe or tobacco, I did at first, burned my tongue with the aromatics, so i learn to let the tobacco dry out a little bit and i got a cooler smoke, also every body is different so i recommend to read the research and the many different articles about pipe smoking and then make the choice.

Jun 4, 2014
Yes, there are health risks associated with any form of tobacco use. There are several articles about pipe smoking and the health risks associated with it. It is a personal choice if you are willing to accept these risks, if not then the best advice I can give is not to smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, tobacco will kill you, but according to the FDA, and other authorities, what won't?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The size of the risk, and there is risk, depends on your genes and general health. And then there is the financial aspect, if you do not mind burning up your cash, have at it. Weigh the risks against the benefits and make a decision. I enjoy smoking, can readily afford the costs and understand the risks.
I certainly would not be asking such a serious question of a bunch of people who you do not know and so, cannot form a reasonable judgement with respect to how much value to give our opinions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Risk depends on your individual susceptibility, the amount you smoke on a day-to-day basis over time, and over how many years. If you don't inhale, as you shouldn't, risks are lip, throat and oral cancers. Some pipe smokers "retro-hale," which involves nasal passages. For moderate smokers, the risk is relatively low, but this depends on your susceptibility. Some people just won't be affected. My father smoked pipes or cigars from after breakfast to bedtime over decades from the age of 15, finally quitting cold turkey when he was (I think) 65. He died at 89 licensed to drive without glasses. He had little or no susceptibility to cancer from tobacco as he used it. Others have probably had trouble with much less use. I'd recommend moderate use, if you are going to smoke a pipe.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
As in all things in life there is risk and reward. It's up to the individual to determine which side of the scale wins out. Unless you're the FDA which puts a 2 ton brick on one side of the scale.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well if I'm not careful then there is the risk of spilling tobacco on the ground, there is risk of me burning my fingers and even beard with my lighter/matches, and if I'm out and about with my pipe there is a risk that I might drop said pipe on the ground and damage it. Of course there is always the risk of bleeding the pocket book dry from spending to much on tobacco and pipes too and catching the wrath from my better half.
As far as health risks; there are risks in anything that we do. Though over the years studies have been done to show that pipe smoking is a low risk compared to that of cigarettes and even cigars. Like Warren stated; depending on your current health and genes, that can affect the risks as well. There is lots of material out there to read up on. I suggest doing a little research and then decide if this hobby is something you're comfortable continuing.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
So, you are asking the health risks of smoking pipe tobacco in a pipe smoking forum. Hmmm. I would just google it and start reading the researches.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
In my case the risk seemed to be worth a chance at the relief I derive from nicotine.

I can live w/o it, and I have for years at a time.

Who knows? I might decide to stop again today?

I always got tired of cigarettes but I needed them.

I still face a certain amount of nicotine addiction as a pipe smoker, but with all the variety in pipes and tobacco it will take longer to 'get tired' of them.

Not inhaling my nicotine, too, has been much easier on my lungs and conscience.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Better than cigarettes, worse than not smoking at all!
My personal view is that I smoke relatively little, but really enjoy it when I do. I get anxiety and stress but the occasional pipe calms me down and helps me switch off from the daily stresses and strains of my life - much more than cigarettes used to! (plus i don't inhale pipe smoke)
I believe the balance of relaxation trumps the dangers of smoking. If I smoked 6 pipes a day then that risk/benefit analysis may be different. Everything we do entails some risk. Driving a car to work, crossing the street, eating fatty/salty/sugary foods etc. You just have to balance it out and accept the consequences. Everything in Moderation as my Dad says - smoked a pipe much of his life, loves cheese and red meat & drinks whisky every day. He also exercises regularly, eats lots of oats, fruit and veggies and can still keep up with me on a hike at 75 years old and enjoys life.
Balance is the key - no point in not enjoying some of the great things in life, including a pipe, otherwise you will live a very long and boring life! :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There are strong and direct correlations between pipe smoking and spending money on pipes and tobacco. It can be quite dangerous and in extreme cases has been known to lead to smoking dens and taking up closet space. Please, be very careful.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
One of the major issues is inhaling your own second hand smoke. That's why my advice to lower the risks of lung cancer and chronic obstructive lung disease is to only smoke indoors. Then there are the cardiovascular risks of nicotine that can add up to other cardiovascular risk factors such as genetic predisposition, elevated blood pressure, lack of exercise, diabetes. Then of course heavy pipe smokers have increased risks of developing oropharyngeal cancer. All depends of course on the amount of smokes per day. I myself am comfortable with 3-5 bowls a week (never indoors) and a healthy life style in general. I even think that this moderate consumption is even beneficial for my health because a pipe helps me to relax and cope with the stress of the day.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on all the foregoing. Please be aware that there are more carcinogens in a charcoal broiled hamburger than in a month's worth of pipe tobacco. That said, pipe smoking is not entirely risk free, but as the gentlemen above said, if you're willing to take the risk, smoke away. Personal experience being entirely anecdotal, I can say that I've been smoking a pipe for nearly 57 years, and I feel, as stated above, that it has benefited my health. Now go ahead and smoke if you dare, just don't blame us if anything bad happens.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Very addictive. I have spent $$$$ on tobacco and pipes this past year. Health risk? If my wife finds out how much I have spent then yes my health may be at risk. :wink:
Any other risk or addictions I am not qualified to say.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We're all gonna die.
I say it too much but, I wish I'd discovered pipes when I was 13.
Cigarettes have less flavor, and cigars while delicious have fewer options.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Yes there are correlations between tobacco and cancer / heart disease, no one in my family, both maternal and paternal ever received cancer so this isn't even on the radar for me, however I have several relatives that past away due to myocardial infractions, so for myself I tend to exercise and take yearly ECG test. My advise to you is moderation and exercise. If you are going to be awake at night worrying about possible health issues than I would choose sleep over smoking.
I do not have the facts so I might be incorrect but I understand there is a study that shows that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. for myself I suffer from Hypertension and I can confirm that after smoking a bowl my blood pressure drops to 115/70 (127/90 being my normal rate using medication which I do)
Do I regret smoking a pipe? HELL NO, all the cool characters from Lord of the rings smoke, like Gimli son of Gloin, Gandalf and even those hobbits.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Several scientific studies exist that show a correlation between exclusive pipe smoking and various cancers, most notably of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus, and lung. Risk goes up with the number of bowls per day, and with the degree of inhalation. So like many have mentioned previously, never inhaling and moderating how often you smoke are both important. Maintaining good oral hygiene is also highly recommended, as well as avoiding drinking alcohol while smoking, which further increases risk. The hazards of pipe smoking are similar to those of cigar smoking, and fall between an individual only exposed to second hand smoke and a cigarette smoker.
These are two of my favorite studies on the subject. They break down the data pretty well, and appear to be fairly reliable.
Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases

Cigar Smoking: Overview and Current State of the Science

Status
Not open for further replies.