PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hey All,
Do any of you know of any aro blends that taste like a black & mild smells? Looking for a dark fruit/vanilla type flavor. I tried Erik Stokkebye - 4th Generation 1957, which has the right room note, but like b&ms, the flavor is lost on the tongue...
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Most of those type favors are lost in the tongue quite a bit, unfortunately. There are plenty of aros with a profile similar to Black and Milds, but you might experience the same disparity between room note and flavor with most of them.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Black & Mild, before it was a "Middleton's Pipe Tobacco Cigar", was in fact a regular Middleton's pipe tobacco. Whenever I get the itch for some, I just buy a pack of the "cigars" and deconstruct them.
EDIT: Apparently, Milan Tobacconists actually still sell Black & Mild by the pouch.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I hear Planta "Danish Black Vanilla" is very similar in flavor and aroma - never tried it myself.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

BCAQ, which is Lane's BCA and 1Q mixed at a 1:1 ratio. I think it's pretty close to a Black & Mild only because of a co-worker asking a group of people one day who had been smoking a Black & Mild right after I had smoked a bowl of BCAQ. I told her it was actually pipe tobacco and not a Black & Mild. She was surprised and said that it smelled just like a Black & Mild. I've smoked Black & Mild's before and can attest that BCAQ might give you what you're looking for?

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for the advice! I was always under the impression that Lane tobaccos came overly wet with a fair amount of bite, and would be just as hard as the b&m cigars to coax the flavor out of. I guess this isn't the case?

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I smoked Black and milds in high school. One day I woke up and it took me 4 or 5 days to get the taste out of my mouth. Haven't smoked one since. Anyway there was a member who said could get several pounds of the stuff. Even made a post asking if anyone wanted to go in on it. Maybe he will post on your thread.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
EDIT: Apparently, Milan Tobacconists actually still sell Black & Mild by the pouch.
Thank you for that. I went to go look and in they do:
https://www.milantobacco.com/middletontobacco.htm
I'm super tempted to pick some of that up. I used to LOVE black and milds when I was a feckless teenager.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
People say I smell like a Black & Mild when I smoke C&D Crooner. I can see what they're talking about, the deer tongue gives it a soft vanilla scent.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the advice! I was always under the impression that Lane tobaccos came overly wet with a fair amount of bite, and would be just as hard as the b&m cigars to coax the flavor out of. I guess this isn't the case?
There are some people who will complain about tongue bite on every single aromatic they smoke, but these folks likely just doesn't like aromatics and/or are smoking them wrong.
As aros go, Lane 1Q smokes beautifully. The same is true of BCA. That said, the Eric Stokkebye might not be that different--they are all aros with vanilla type flavoring.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Found it! Russ' Monthly Blend Sugar Plum mixed with Boswell's Piper's Pleasure :)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
There are some people who will complain about tongue bite on every single aromatic they smoke, but these folks likely just doesn't like aromatics and/or are smoking them wrong.
As aros go, Lane 1Q smokes beautifully. The same is true of BCA.
Never smoked 1Q but BCA is a coarse-cut cavendish which is why it doesn't bite. Most aros are cheap burley shag or ribbon cased with flavored syrup. Those bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.