PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I may be traveling to Norway in a few months and I was wondering if there were any decent tobacco shops up there that anyone is aware of.

I'm also interested in the cultural outlook concerning pipes and tobacco in Norway.

What brands/blends of pipe tobaccos are available?

Any help would be appreciated.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Norway is a country of regulations. Tobacco and alcohol is heavily overpriced in an attempt to steer people away from it. I think you will have a hard time finding any decent tobacconist there.

There used to be a norwegian pipe brand called Lillehammer, and they can sometimes be seen as estates on various websites.

I know that a pack of cigarettes costs around 20$ there. I'm guessing a 50g tin of tobacco would be about twice that.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Workman, what is the pipe smoking environment like in the Faroe Islands? I've not been there, but have been in Iceland a couple of times and came across a nice pipe shop in downtown Reykjavik and saw a couple of younger folks smoking around town.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Wow guys, that's kind of disheartening, oh well I just take a few tins with me.

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated!

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Not sure about pipe tobacco, but Workman is correct about the $20 for a pack of cigarettes. They even sell 10 packs of cigarettes for $10. I visited the tobacco shop in Bergen and cigars were about 4 times the cost of cigars in duty free in Amsterdam. Their hours were very limited and they sell mostly coffee these days and you cannot smoke inside....

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
@cranse iron: there isn't really any pipe smoking environment here in the Faroes. I know a few guys who smoke pipes and I recently joined a group on facebook for faroese pipe smokers. I am member no. 11. The only tobacconist died 10-12 years ago, so the only blends available are MacBaren Scottish Blend and Orlik Golden Sliced.

This is such a tiny nation, that many things that are self evident in larger communities just don't exist here.

I purchase tobacco from Denmark to get variety and have managed so far. But I think pipe smoking may be in for a little renaissance, as the trend is more towards quality delicacies than fastfood and junk. We'll see.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Tobago in Bergen is the only remaining pipe maker in Norway.
As per Pipedia:

Tabago is the more recent brand of Bård Hansen, Norway's sole contemporary pipemaker. He learned his craft for a while at G. Larsen's pipe factory Lillehammer in Lillehammer and is working now from his workshop situated at Bryggen in the centre of Bergen.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Tabago
http://www.pipe-maker.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.