PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyblu

Lurker
Aug 22, 2019
Hello,

I am a newbie

I decided to try pipe tobacco because I seemed to be smoking more cigs and I lost enjoyment in smoking, seem to be just going through the motions on triggers. So to see if I would like pipe smoking, I got a cheap starter on Amazon...I know the devil you say.

Well I read a lot on here since I ordered and went to get tobacco but I was lazy and went to find Prince Albert or Half Half as to hell me transfer over from cigarettes but my drug store only had a cheap one and Captain Black. (Gotta say, I enjoy CB except I’m still learning so I get tongue bite/burn).
Now the first day I received my pipe I had four cigarettes and 2-3 pipe bowls. The next day I had 2 cigarettes and 3 bowls. Now today I had 3.5 bowls and I tried to have a cigarette and it has no flavor and the smoke is hollow so I couldn’t even get half way through.

I guess I have been irritable...but only when people are being stupid by not actually answering questions or trying to do pointless small talk about BS. Hehe
So I ordered a new pipe today and a cob along with some different tobaccos and a few other things.
I still have a lot of learning to do but there’s no going back for me. I am a piper now.
Cheers and I’m sure I’ll be reading a lot more and I might even ask a question or two, so fell free to tell me if it’s a stupid question. lOl

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard! You have been converted. There are no dumb questions. So, don't hesitate to ask.
We've all gone through the initial stages of piping and are still continuously learning. So, dive in and enjoy! :puffy:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Welcome to the forum from Austin, Texas.
As a 33 year ex-cig smoker, I congratulate you.
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy, lily, & congrats also on kicking the nails!
There are no stupid questions at all,
Whenever somebody says that I tell them, don't say that -- you haven't heard it yet! But Mike's right; we (nearly) all learn new stuff all the time. Yeah, there are the few odd jackasses who *act* like they know everything, but we don't usually pay much attention to them. }:)
Bill

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
You are in the right direction Sir,almost the same happened to me in the past, I didn't stop cigarette smoking cold turkey but rather gradually decreasing quantities,and I still do occasionally enjoy'tasteless cigarette but trying to keep quantities very moderate 2 to max 4 per day,looking forward do a day when zero cigarettes is smoked, but so far that's kinda hard goal to achieve

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Good for you! I gave up cigs about a year ago, but that was after having smoked a pipe regularly for about 10 years. Increasing the frequency of my pipe smoking has helped me stay away form them though.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day Lillyblu and welcome from another newbie.
For around 35 years I was heavily addicted to cigarettes, up to 40-a-day. Giving up was torture.

Once I'd given up for whatever length of time whether 6 days or 6 months, whenever I'd become stressed or the black dog came around I'd pick up a cig & be back at square one again.
Over 8 years ago I bit the bullet & took up smoking a pipe. There was an adjustment period of 3-5 days but that was much easier than going cold turkey.
In all that time since, I have not craved for a cigarette.

Now I intentionally choose milder blends with low nicotine. Now I no longer crave a smoke and when otherwise occupied, I can go several hours without a puff & not even notice.
Cigarettes have a staggering 300+ added chemicals, some of which are addictive [It explains why a cig smoker is not satisfied smoking a RYO] Pipe tobacco has none.
Now I puff for enjoyment rather than because of addiction. Just holding an unlit pipe is to me, a bit like worry beads for others. Like an adults pacifier, lol.

My only regret is not taking up a pipe a lot sooner.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Cigarettes ruined burley pipe tobacco for me. I smoked cigarettes off and on for a long time and now that's all I think about if I smoke burley tobacco. I try to stay away from burley tobacco now, but I have some in my cellar I'll circle back around to in a few years just to check in and see if my tastes have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.