PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have personally cornered the world market in Condor Plug and Ready Rubbed due to concerns about future availability but thats just my paranoia!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I just started and have about 2 lbs of various blends in 24 4oz jelly jars. Honestly though, I don't smoke that much so I probably won't be accumulating much more than that. I'll probably just start rotating through the jars now instead.
I may buy a few tins though and add to the stash.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am one of those who amassed a 25 year(250 pounds) supply of tobacco for a few reasons. One is that tobacco will never be cheaper than it is now, 2 taxes are going to go through the roof in every state eventually and 3 I was afraid that some of my favorite blends would be discontinued when taxes went through the roof. In my stat of Florida, we have an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco making a tin of SG Best Brown cost 22.95 at my local b/m. I can buy that blend for 9.00 a tin on line. There are some states that already forbid tobacco to be shipped into them from on line dealers. If Florida had instituted that, I would have been screwed. I believe that eventually every state will not allow tobacco to be shipped in and people will be forced to buy locally.
There is also the possibility thaat the FDA gets involved with pipe tobacco and forces companies out of business altogether, it would behoove anyone who has the resources to buy now and as much as they can before these things happen.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Harris speaks the truth!
The other advantage to having a nice cellar of pipe tobacco is they will typically improve with age, so years down the road you will be in for some tasty treats.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, there's that. I think you're right cigmaster. Now that .gov has taken over healthcare, the handwriting is on the wall for tobacco. I doubt they'll ban it entirely, but the restrictions and cost will be through the roof before long.
Maybe I do need to stock up more than 2 lbs. :D

Dec 24, 2012
There are many reasons to cellar and age tobacco, and I would break them down as follows:
Why age tobacco:
* Aging significantly improves the taste of virginia and oriental tobaccos. Latakia is muted through aging, and since I am not a huge Latakia maven that is not necessarily a bad thing. I love a good aged English blend where the flavours of the virginia and oriental tobaccos are heightened through fermentation while the latakia is more muted and smooth than it was when young. The impact of aging on burley and perique is more debatable. I can't comment on burley, but I love how perique ages - oddly, it either gets more "plumby" or it gets more peppery, depending on the blend, and I like both results.
Why cellar tobacco:
1. A hedge against general upward inflationary pressure on tobacco prices.
2. A response to the concern that existing state tobacco and sales taxes will be applied to internet tobacco sales by out-of-state vendors through the introduction of internet commerce legislation.
3. A response to the concern that tobacco taxes will rise in the future, as all sin taxes have a tendency to do (some may call this paranoia, but just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you)
4. A response to the concern that future legislation may restrict internet tobacco sales, thereby reducing access to a wide variety of blends.
5. A response to the concern that increased FDA regulation of pipe tobacco may result in certain blends being discontinued because they are no longer economically sustainable or because they contain flavor additives.
6. A response to a more general concern that one's favourite blends may be discontinued for reasons unrelated to increased regulation.
7. For pipe aficionados outside of the US, a response to the concern that future changes in their home country legislation and/or customs enforcement will make it increasingly difficult to import pipe tobacco across the border.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mr English is right, I forgot to add that having tons of tobacco means smoking well aged stuff for years. All of my cellar consists of VA,Vaper and Vabur flakes which age beautifully.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
These are some very compelling and logical arguments for cellaring. Thanks for the thoughts. And, I agree with all of the statements. I like good aromatics, as well as non aromatics and english blends. Since aromatics are not renown for their ability to age, I reckon I'll cellar primarily VAs VaPers Latakias and Burleys. All the while enjoying aromatics (now) until they become cost prohibitive or my taste change!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great post Peck. I believe that eventually Canada will outlaw any type of tobacco sales coming from the US. I know they like the revenue from taxes, but that nanny state of yours will cut off it's nose to spite it's face for PC reasons. I would be wiling to bet your cellar with be worth 40 times more than it is now 10 years or so down the road as Canadien smokers will have no more access to the American market. I would not be surpised if you have not taken that into account when you bought your 600 pouds of tobacco. I bet you will be able to send your kids to college on your cellar alone. I know my kids will make a fortune on what I don't smoke and leave to them.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I like to try new things. That being said I just started building and probably only have 2 pounds. I only buy a tin or two a month.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Nice Peck! Hell I didn't even think about half of those!
I can't buy like a lot of people can, but I always order a tin or two of my favorites anytime I order anything from anywhere that sells the stuff. Mostly for me it was to have some really awesome tobaccos to smoke in the future. But if I could afford it, I would buy the hell out of it for all the reasons Peck listed!

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I just heard from some Canadian friends the Canada is going to outlaw flavored cigars soon. Is that true Peck and will it include pipe tobacco?

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I am in agreement with cellaring all that you can afford. I started in 08/2014 and have 91 pounds with my goal of 100 lbs. Now a lot of my blends are getting 9 months old now and when I retire next May 2016 I will be really able to enjoy whta I have and they will be getting close to 2 years old then. I will of course start with the cellared ARO's and save the VA's for later.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I've cellared 55 pounds covering 35 blends for all the above reasons plus one major one...I just retired and now cannot afford to buy tobacco....but, I'm covered!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I started cellaring about 10 years ago,pretty slowly. I did it slowly, and for the sole reason that good Virginia blends change - usually for the better - with age. I purchased a pretty fair amount last year,and now am ready to enjoy more aged goodness.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I just heard from some Canadian friends the Canada is going to outlaw flavored cigars soon
I can tell you Alberta had already passed the law and it takes effect June 1st. I also think Ontario has passed the law as well.
I have asked my local tobacconist if this is going to affect pipe tobacco. he claimed he did not know, but basically said he wasn't going to do anything until someone walked into his store and told him to take stuff off the shelves.
Basically, they are targeting fruit flavored things like peach and grape flavored cigarello's. Pipe tobacco is not high on the hit list.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Ontario's law has yet to come into effect. But like Alberta's - it's targeting cigarillo's and menthol cigarette's. I scan the actual legislation and found nothing saying "Pipe or loose tobacco".

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My cellaring started somewhat inadvertently when I heard that Middleton's Sugar Barrel was being discontinued. I got my hands on one of the last tubs at P&C, and then picked up several ounces of their Match blend shortly afterwards. I put both into mason jars for future use, and followed up with some Prince Albert and several tins of Escudo that I look forward to trying in about 3-5 years...
Right now, I'm short on shelf space, but once I get my Pipe Cabinet put together (which will happen whenever the parts are available at IKEA...), I'll see what I've got room for. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.