Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Tobacco Ban Soon!

(52 posts)
  1. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

I don't know when this will take effect but perhaps we need to quickly cellar. We can organize group buys so that no one is left out and all can join in the frenzy. Let's start multiple threads with buy ins and posts ad nauseam. Ready...go!

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm stockpiling Penzance.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.shaukatkhanum.org.pk/news-a-events/events/330.html

This article has been around for a while....

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They really hate tobacco... never mind the millions dying from other stuff.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. michaelmirza

Michael Mirza

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Ban on Pipe Tobacco Coming Soon; Stock Up While You Can." By Russ Ouellette.

Sometimes I take pictures: http://instagram.com/michael_mirza
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. smokinfireman

smokinfireman

Login to Send PM

Jesus is surely coming soon.......really no joke! look at everything else that's going on. The rebuilding of the temple will be soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. smokinfireman

smokinfireman

Login to Send PM

I'm afraid of the biggest, most repulsive cancer of all- big brother in the White Palace telling me how to live my life. Can anyone say Stalin?

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At least he was a pipe smoker.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. smokinfireman

smokinfireman

Login to Send PM

@ deathmetal

hahahahaha!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. andystewart

andystewart

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

N.B. This is NOT aimed at rhoadsie and is in no way a comment on his posting of this piece, but - further to Dan's (woodsroad) post - this is a fake article. Someone has taken the original blog piece and photoshopped it onto the NYT banner. Even if we didn't have the original, the mistakes (punctuation, grammar, lack of plural 's') would not have made it past even a first-day sub-editor on a local rag. And the opening para makes no reference to the article heading. You could argue that it was written by someone for whom English isn't a first language. And looking at the original, you'd be right. This is a cut-and-paste aimed at a specific audience.

Some anti-, somewhere, thinks he/she is funny!

Andy

"I don’t know how else to say it: you don’t see bums smoking pipes." Charlie Kramer
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What, no trigger warning!? This post gave me a boo-boo.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

Everyone dies. EVERYONE...

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

Someone has taken the original blog piece and photoshopped it onto the NYT banner.

Well, almost...

Even the banner is fake. The font is wrong, and it's not the "New York Times", it's "The New York Times"

In related news, I know for a fact that at least one Deputy Executive Editor for The New York Times is a pipe smoker!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

damianmonk

Login to Send PM

Guys, stop toying around, it ain't funny

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andy and Walt, thanks for spelling it out in a much more clear and concise manner than I did. There is so little quality information available these days, that I just automatically assume that anything that I read is flawed, fake or fraud.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Walt Connoy, I didn't think I'd seen that story in my wife's copy of The Times. Also, it is highly suspect when other news sources haven't mentioned it. There's a pretty dependable strum and drang between outlets with notable stories. Never hurts to wake up the troops on a Monday. I bet a few TAD attacks were activated. Our sponsors thank you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of the members just eat up "the sky is falling" stories. It's in their DNA. They read it, believe it on its face and then let the knee jerk uncontrollably.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of the members just eat up "the sky is falling" stories.

I live amoungst folks that live this and inflict it on everyone around them, building bunkers and practicing apocalypse scenarios. I just haven't hit that level of paranoid delusional misery yet. But, I do find myself wanting a bunker. That wouldn't be terrible, maybe with a pool table and hot tub.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic you can include Ted Koppel in that doomsday preppers list. Not sure if you've seen his new book "Lights Out"

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think some have made it into a sport or game, and that's fine. I just hate it when folks want to bring that world view into every conversation with me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

Wow, I guess I didn't realize that people would think that was a real article (I didn't think it was) or would take the post very seriously. Especially given my tongue in cheek comment below it. For the record, the doomsday pipe ban is NOT upon us.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. basil

basil

Login to Send PM

Wait! Don't say it's a fake article yet! I'm in the process of getting my wife to approve a large TAD order.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes yes, max out those credit cards. Tis the season... Ha ha!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From the second we are pulled from the womb we are destined to die. Humans are not born to be immortal and is the only creation in nature to fight so hard to prevent natures design.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I work in the medical center, in Houston, in the cancer center and I see young people as 18 some are my age, 29, strong young men die from cancer, and some of the people don't even smoke, we can die any time , we are destined to die. there are some folks that don't research or read articles about pipe smoking and just because its a tobacco they thinks is the most dangerous form of tobacco, but they are wrong,

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. hooboy

hooboy

Login to Send PM

I believe this article was false, BUT I really can't ridicule the knee jerkers and doomsdayers.
    If those have got it right I want to be a friend of theirs!

I just bet they were some saying the same thing when prohibition was being discussed! (A total ban on Alcohol,This would NEVER happen right?) Some said it would never pass because of the tax revenue loss! Yeah right.

Just look at what happened to big tobacco and cigarettes , Just remember THERE is a war on tobacco.
    The haters never hesitate to falsify their findings for their own goals .
    The way our current leaders act they could very well do this. AFTER all they know whats best for us in every aspect of our lives!
    hoo (stepping down from his soapbox )

I feel strongly BOTH ways!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of us have a keen grasp of the obvious with regard to death.

hoo: The antis may be misguided from a smoker's standpoint but, they are winning the "war" and no amount of oratory or hand wringing will change that. We smokers are simply on the losing side by any objective measurement.

Smokers will grasp at any evidence, no matter how fragile, to support the use of tobacco. Much as the antis sometimes tout iffy science. And, they don't have to do so as there is a preponderance of well supported research which proves the downside of tobacco.

Tobacco use will never entirely fade away but, it will be relegated to those with the means to acquire it. I suspect smoking will revert to its roots, clubs and in-home use only. Perhaps smoking jackets and caps will see a resurgence also.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah...traditions.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're right about the knee jerking, Warren. And just when I got the Jake leg calmed down from all the "discontinued" Sterno I drank.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They would ban cigarettes before they ever ban pipe tobacco. Or at least that is what I hope. : ), I am however annoyed with people posting random garbage they find on the internet. Does anyone actually check the validity of anything they read anymore?

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  33. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A "ban" is relative.

We will probably never see an outright ban on pipe tobacco in our lifetime. Or, at least in MY lifetime. But you will see a greatly reduced selection in ever more mandated packaging (50% or better coverage with "warning" labels) at much higher prices, sold in fewer and fewer places. The market will shrink, the economics of producing pipe tobacco will get tighter, and fewer and fewer companies will produce less and less.

But tomorrow morning, I'll have another cup of quadruple espresso, and get back to work on the blends at Standard. Because pipe tobacco makes people smile. And that's a good thing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Progressives have an Islam-O-Fascist problem right now. While tobacco is certainly on their Ban list, guns seem to be their main target. Importing the Syrian population and stripping you of arms seems the better means to an end. Sharia law will take care of that wascally tobacco problem.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  35. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tax revenues alone are enough to make those in government reluctant to "ban" tobacco products especially when the "Health Risks" will justify higher and higher taxes, supposedly to discourage the practice. Think about it, after what was reveled about the cigarette companies in the trials a number of years back, you can still buy a pack of smokes at just about any convenience store. Why? The states make big money taxing them and no matter how egregious the offences were, there's money to be had. There's already a push by the states to get their share of "on-line" sales. Tobacco is a cash cow nobody will be killing any time soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jeez, enough already with the ad nauseam remarks that we are all destined to die no mater what choices we take in life. As for the article posted by the OP it's obviously bogus and I've seen better grammar in the spam I get in my email. I'm sure the bureaucrats will, over time, try their damnedest to impose more and more taxes on any and all tobacco but I'm certainly not going to get my shorts in a bind over it. Christ almighty... just how many here remember when gas cost .39 cents a gallon and a pack of cigarettes was the same. That's life and deal with it as there isn't diddly squat you can do about it. As for me, I think I'll survive with this so called tobacco Armageddon and not lose any sleep over it.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quality!

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woodsroad: A tip of the hat. You know you could have started another thread with that and caused all sorts of consternation.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who, me?

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. andystewart

andystewart

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Class, Dan! Very funny!

We will probably never see an outright ban on pipe tobacco in our lifetime. Or, at least in MY lifetime. But you will see a greatly reduced selection in ever more mandated packaging (50% or better coverage with "warning" labels) at much higher prices, sold in fewer and fewer places. The market will shrink, the economics of producing pipe tobacco will get tighter, and fewer and fewer companies will produce less and less.

Welcome to the UK.

Andy

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As long as there are seeds and dirt, as long as men can still bore a hole in a piece of wood...

Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth...

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

100% of all life ends in death. I am going to stay in my room and wait for it
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

I wonder how many people waste months of their lives worrying about situations they have absolutely no control over. While they do I will be eating my steak and eggs and having a great bole of Tom's Blend with my coffee.
    If you perceive a problem, do what you feel is feasible for you to do, and get on with your life. Just my 2 Cents.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  44. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Okie, life's to short to spending worrying. Make happen what you can make happen. Make people around you smile, and suck the marrow out of life.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. hooboy

hooboy

Login to Send PM

A reply to the post on the loss of tax cash cow deterring an outright ban... Others taxes can be increased to offset this loss!

Tax Revenue loss did not play in the total ban of Alcohol and it did not play in the
    repealing of the ban!
    The Illigal revenue it generated by smuggling and bootlegging was so great it led to
    the roaring twenties and this boatload of money was so great and so many officals were corrupted by it they eventually realized the ban consequences were so much worse than Alcohol was ever thought to be!
    I am not predicting when this will happen But I believe it eventually will Deny it or Not personally I am convinced it is coming the question IS how soon? , oh yes about growing it ourselves Marijuana can be grown by us but what happens when caught doing so?
    If Not a ban just maybe it will go as New Zealand The tax on tobacco automatically increases 10 percent
    per year . You would not believe what a tin cost there now!

Another example ie. a ban on Guns in Australia and England ! Tax loss was NOT remotely considered in these areas NOR the LOSS of jobs were any deterent!
    hoo

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If we are talking the US and most likely Canada, there simply are an insufficient number of smokers to result in a similar situation which arose during Prohibition. Lots of people drink, not so many smokers. I will concede the allure of the illicit though and that could upset my assumption.

Taxes a more important consideration these days than in the 1920s. Government needs proportionally more money now than it did in those days, before "The New Deal." The people living on the government dole, politicians and government employees to the neediest of the needy, want every penny possible mined from those that have money.

I know people in Great Britain who would be surprised to know that "gun" ownership was prohibited. Certain "guns" are indeed prohibited, not all guns. I know hunters who possess long guns and shotguns legally. I know a few that have pistols in their homes. Please more about this encompassing "gun" ban in England.

I can't address Australia as I do not know anyone from there sufficiently well to ask about their gun possession. My understands is that hunting is alive and well there. There must be some legal ownership there.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. mustanggt

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think we all need to pack a bowl, light it and sit back and relax and enjoy. Let our stress roll away. Isn't that why we all like to smoke our pipes???

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. hooboy

hooboy

Login to Send PM

That is good advice, BUT I don't think that a friendly debate is any cause for alarm. If anyone thought it was other than that I apologize for the misunderstanding.
    The debate I believe was of 2 individuals that disagreed in some part.( what a dull existence it would be IF everyone agreed on everything)
    Which comes down to "agree to disagree" conclusion, LOL

I have yet to see any debate turn into a full blown argument on this forum , Unfortunately that is NOT true of others I have seen.
    hoo

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just heard that there will in fact be a ban of pipe tobacco, but only certain ones viewed by The Council as undesirable.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can I get a printed copy of that complete article. We need to replace the cat litter...

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can I get a printed copy of that complete article. We need to replace the cat litter...

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That might be difficult as I read an article on the Internet, which of course we all know is ALWAYS true and irrefutable, and it seems as though newspaper print has been found to be hazardous to cats.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   smudgersmissingleg, frankrem, pitchfork, rodo, ashdigger, spartan99, cshubhra, oldgeezersmoker, 3rdguy, marc75