PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Just curious if any of you carry tobacco with you if you are flying or otherwise traveling internationally. I assume this has to be claimed? Is there any limit or red tape that you have experienced? I have never been on a plane with pipe or tobacco before and I may be taking a trip to visit family. There are no tobacco shops there to my knowledge.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I take it in my carry-on. Depending on where you're heading and how much you've got you may or may not need to claim it.
Destinations I travel to:

Singapore.. all tobacco needs to be claimed (although not everyone does it because the taxes are so high :whistle innocently:)

Europe, China, Brazil (and I think most other Latin American countries): As long as it's less than 8 oz, you're fine. I usually have two or three tins with me, which lasts me fine.
Here's a good site. http://www.taxfreetravel.com/tobacco.php

Scroll to the bottom.. they have a whole section called "Duty Free Travel Allowances" and you can click on the links for each respective country / region to get the latest scoop.
Always do your verifications before you leave. Just google it or check the airlines or airport websites. Fines can be hefty and I for one don't want to spend a night in a jail somewhere in a foreign country.
Good luck

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I also carried about 4oz. in my carry-on when I went to the Phillippines a few months ago. Did not claim it nor did I get hastled about it. Best of luck. :puffpipe:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'm going to the British Virgin Islands in August and am planning on taking 2 pipes and a small Pelican case of Penzance with me. I think last time they asked me if I had any tobacco on the way back through Customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.