PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Greetings, All,

I'm new with this strange addiction to pipe smoking and pipe collecting, and have a few questions about the specialized description of pipes. For instance, what is a "Shell" pipe that I've seen used to describe Dunhill? And "Cumberland," "Fishtail," "Billiard," and "Pot?" BTW, my current collection includes two Peterson Dracula pipes, a Brebbia (with a curious cone shaped interior bowl; this pipe doesn't smoke very well at all) and a LaRocca Piccalo pocket pipe which ironically smokes better that all the larger pipes. Any and all advice is appreciated. Sparrowhawk

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Shell refers to the finish of the pipe as in how the pipe is carved to achieve the texture on the outside of the bowl. Cumberland is a type of stem material usually kind of a tiger stripe/ swirl of dark and light brown and is "rubber" so it is usually softer than an acrylic stem. Fishtail is a type of stem shape that flares out more at the tip and is usually flat not tapered from the shank to the button. Billiard is a pipe shape usually defined as a bowl with straight walls that cants slightly forward between 0 to 2 degrees, round shank, tapered stem, either straight or bent. A pot is also a pipe shape similar to a billiard but usually the bowl is wider in proportion to its height. Hope that helps a bit and welcome to the forums!

Aug 1, 2012
"Billiard," and "Pot?"
A billiard is the "standard" bowl shape that looks like this.
dscn2804-600x450.jpg

or this
1-upshall-back-600x409.jpg

A pot shape has a bowl that is similar but shorter and wider like this. (this one has a p-lip stem while the ones above have fishtail)
dscn2781-600x450.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I believe "shell" is for Dunhill's sandblasted finished pipes.
A Cumberland stem is made from a vulcanite rod with red and black rods in it which are processed to get the brown/red marble effect. It's very soft, and can oxiydize pretty quick if you don't take care of it.
Fishtail refers to the button end of the stem. I'd wager most stems are fish tail.
I'll leave the billiard/pot description since I'm not positive when a billiard becomes a pot.
-Jason
*EDIT* Everyone beat me, so if my info contradicts previous posts please disregard as per my signature below.

tunek

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
hi,
this is what I've found:
http://agentlemanknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Pipe-Shape-Chart.jpg
May be helpful for someone...it was to me anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.