PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I want to vent a few things and share some views.

The UK is one month from an election of a new prim minister, I hear today the Libral party will legalise the class B drug cannabis! Are we in the same world when they are trying to ban/get rid of tobacco.

I have just come back from a cruise to the Carabian expecting pipe tobacco to be ready available - wrong

Nothing on the ship and hit and miss in the ports.

Difficult to know when to buy, do you wait till the next port or buy now.

Without the UK duty the only tobacco available was Borkum Riff and varied between USA $5 - $7 for a 50gm pack, I made a School boy error, used my allowance forgot my wife's.

I have not smoked Borkum Riff and was pleased by this tobacco.

Barbados has band tobacco smoking in any public areas, so I was told but clearly drug taking was wildly in use.

Why has the world gone so mad about personal, adult tobacco use? Will sheep turn black and everyone in 100 yards get cancer!

Well cannabis can make the smoker not only get cancer but get mental health problems as well, yet one of the UK parties wish to legalise it and raise billions in tax.

I got cancer but had not smoked for 20 years and was in to body building, since my cancer (and no cure) I thought why not go back to the pipe smoking and wished I had never stoped.

I will not give up again.

My local tobacconist is two weeks to closing, their tobacco was expensive, sadly I got greater variety and a cheaper price online, stocking up on Zippo flints and wicks.

Smoked Borkum Riff and mixed coconut today (now renamed Caribbean Delight) not that you can get it in the Caribbean! This came from E A Carey's. I tend to smoke this tobacco in a clay pipe.

Every day the world seams stranger, or am I just getting old an grumpy?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think many of feel the same way. We "older" people remember when we had more rights and freedoms. The younger generations are growing accustomed to governments making the decisions for them. 1984 came a bit late but come it did.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I research tobacco products, among other important items such as photo gear availability and weather forecasts, before visiting a unknown area. I'd treat a cruise ship just the same. I need to know what to expect. Not a fan of surprises except in cuisine.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If you think MADD and the offshoot "right taking" groups are all liberal then you are not paying attention. Most are faith-based and conservative in nature. My first lectures about weed, tobacco, alcohol, condoms, dancing, etc. were from church groups and the do gooders out to save us from ourselves. There is plenty of blame to share and it crosses political ideology equally.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I'm shocked that the Libral party in the UK are still going, I thought they went the way of the striped shirt with white collars or was that the white shirt with blue collars. I forget but David Steel will remember.

Either way you just keep on puffin in the free world

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I have learned to take with me enough tobacco to last any trip, regardless of hitting places that are reputed to have decent pipe tobacco.
And cruise ships, at least Royal Carribbean and Princess don't make smoking easy at all, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it banned entirely one day.
What ship were you on and what itinerary?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I too was gobsmacked at the Lib Dem manifesto pledge on legalising cannabis. I have nothing against that despite it not being my cup of tea but I would wager they would still be backing the anti tobacco fanatics that are crawling all over Westminster.
And yes Dave, I too find it hard to believe they are still a political party after Clegg's monumental tuition fees pledge reversal. It was that that halted my Open University degree course and I shall never, ever forgive them for that.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mr:Oldmansmoking and other Gentlemen,

All right, living probably in the most antismoking area on the earth, I wouldn't be surpriced at least if this what Mr Old man described took place on some ferries commuting between countries Sweden&Finland-Scandinavia_eu

But that this occured on board of wessel where the major of the passangers are British and American aliens made me laugh out loud,never would imagine no pipe tobaccos was available on the ship-shop, and der mr Oldmansmoking, I do admire you, Your just got right attitude such like we all contemporary pipesmokers need to have, you brave man keep goin in this direction,your not getting old and grumby but realistic, Best Greets, Paul

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Sorry for tardy reply - went to many carabean destinations - most of them much the same and all blended in. Best trip was to a rum distilary. Boy got three sheets to the wind I can tell you. Ship was Oriana.

Good holiday.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I love my little Cajun town , I can smoke in the Town Square patterned after Abbeville France for which its named, the few occasions I accompy my wife at Bingo, the Blue Haired Ladies want to sit next to our table to smell the Troutstream smoked in their honor. But 15 miles away the horrible wisdom of the Antis have passed a law NO SMOKING IN BARS. Oh well my Parish Vermilion is so Old Cajun I will be gone whenever they do. When I lived in Baton Rouge the Main Religion in my area was Baptist, and when the Garbage passed the clink of their Alcohol bottles was something to behold. :laughat:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Even our conservatives are Leftist.
I object, mainly on a qualitative level.
In the meantime, who speaks up for smokers?
Time to get the Pope on our side...

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
They tell me the Devil smokes a pipe, and there's no ban on smoking in hell, booked my final trip with a one way ticket. They tell me only 15% with my cancer last 5 years or greater, maybe I might beat the odds!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN

I look at things this way, smoking is not popular and never will be again why would the world want you around when most of the guys here can't smoke in their own homes and cars? I don't care what happens in the wide world I've made the choice to moderately enjoy pipes in the comfort of my home and cigars in my car and I would never book a Caribbean cruise if the ship didn't have a large well appointed lounge and at least a few of the ports didn't have a la Casa to hang out at. It my choice and I know and plan for exactly what I would want to be happy. 8O

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hey, we live in a world where Saudi Arabia sits on the UN councils for human rights and women's rights. Can't get any stranger than that.
Even our conservatives are Leftist.
Both conservative and liberal today bear little to no resemblance in principle to what either one used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.