PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over the years -- yes, it's been a while -- I've made some suggestions and recommendations that have been picked up or at least acknowledged by Forums members, and some that haven't. Several that, to my knowledge, have never been taken include recommendations for several pipes. It's okay with me; some notions click, and others don't, but it is kind of interesting observe the non-starters. Speak up if I'm wrong about any of these. I've never heard back on my eight or ten recommendations for the Peterson B11 bent volcano sitter shaped pipes available continuously over the years in various series. Despite a number of pitches, and members in this state (N.C.) and region, no one has ever seconded the motion on pipe carver Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., perhaps because he does not sell online but only at the N.C. State Fair and TAPS pipe show which is also at the Fairgrounds. And finally, for great moderately priced small pipes, I have long recommended the French pipes by EWA sold by Iwan Ries. These are several of my bright ideas, so far as I know, not taken. Have you pitched any pipes, blends, or ideas that have met the great silence? I will say, I'd rather have people ignore my enthusiasms than follow them and be unhappy, so I assume in some cases this is all for the best. And plenty of my talking points have been picked up, so I'm pleased with those.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
No clue as to who may have followed any recommendation by me, but I will say I've listened to you and picked up a Peterson unfinished 408 when there was a sale at P&C. Glad I did, it's one of my favorites and I got it cheap.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
No one in the extremely wet or dry regions of the country has followed my suggestion to send their tobacco here, to be held in the perfect moisture conditions and regularly sampled for quality assurance until they are ready to smoke it...
jay-roger.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The problem for me with the EWA pipes sold by Iwan Ries is that they fill the same need for me as my Kaywoodie pipes, which have a local history for me, and I don't get to those events in NC for Jerry Perry, plus I don't like people whose first name and surname rhyme. 8) And I personally find that B11 hideous. But that is just me. Personally, I don't know if I give enough advice to notice it being ignored yet.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
No one in the extremely wet or dry regions of the country has followed my suggestion to send their tobacco here, to be held in the perfect moisture conditions and regularly sampled for quality assurance until they are ready to smoke it...

Dang Jay, I had no idea you were offering this service. Where can I find out more about this opportunity?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
crash', it's true, some pipes we own already fill a niche, like small bowls. I really like your Kaywoodies. Apparently your reaction to the Pete B11 is shared, since it is on continuous offer but not much discussed much less praised. As for JP, his work has a local spin that is extremely appealing to me, and probably his somewhat illusive marketing too.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
mso, something about that B11 just just doesn't sit well with me. (see what I did there). But I totally get the JP thing, I love a hard to find local artisan of anything, and that is more rare in the pipe world. I was only kidding about the name. Have you posted pictures of his pipes?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am used to no one taking my suggestions! I will say that when a new member here posts something like "What is a good starter pipe?", there will be 50 different replies from 50 different members with 50 different pipe suggestions. It can be a bit overwhelming for a new pipe smoker.
Other than that, we hang on your every word Tom, you know that! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.