PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Anybody have pipes that just dont seem to fit into any rack that you have? I tried putting my nicer new Savinelli into a pipe rack today and it just doesnt want to seem to fit into any one of them. Its too big for my antique stands and when I tried to put it into the newer stand, I had to lean it pretty far to fit into the little indent in the bottom, and when I did this the stem flipped over and the pipe took a dive toward the floor!
8O
I caught it before it hit the ground, thank goodness, but I really dont want to have this happen again. Anyone have this dillema too? If so, how do you store pipes that you really like but dont have room in the rack for?

Jul 15, 2011
8O
Doy! I just remembered that I do have a pipe travel case somewhere that I never use. I suppose that could always work. Thanks for inspiring me to get up off my lazy ass and remember where I put all my pipe stuff rothnh! I really probably never would have thought of it if you hadnt mentioned it.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Two of my meers won't fit, but they have cases so I keep them in that. I have one that barely fits, but it's good enough. And obviously my calabashes wont fit. I'm thinking about seeing if Storient will make me custom cases for both of my calabashes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I do have a few pipes that will not fit into my Savinelli 36 count rack. I bought a rack from smokingpipes to fit my larger ones. This is the one I bought and it was like 20 bucks. You need an open top rack for the big boys.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=50938

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
My bent pipe won't fit my rack so I took a hacky-sack and use that :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks! Here's an example of how Iwan Ries displays their estate pipes.

pipedisplay_zps365fd377.jpg

Everything I saw at Grainger was made of metal, but I think some heat shrink tubing would do the trick in protecting the pipes.

Two of these babies would hold the pipe at a nice angle. Like Brian Levine, I like to see pipes in profile.

Extended-Spring-Clip-5TPE1_AS01.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just visited a pipe friend this evening and noticed he has three large "Tony's" racks, they are very nice and hold all sizes of pipes.

For my collection, I have some standard Ebay/Etsy racks that have the hole drilled for the top of the stem. I just use a jigsaw to cut the hole into a "u" shape. Now they fit all of my pipes, including a XL David Jones Poker.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I store my pipe stem down in a shelf that I drilled holes in to accommodate pipe stems, can't fall out and really inexpensive.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That is such a practical idea, 05venturer. There's no need to store the pipes with the bowl down

if you use a pipe cleaner after every smoke.

Aug 14, 2012
I make black box-trays to go under and in front of my pipe racks, to keep pipes from falling on the floor. Those that don't fit in the rack
123s-4584_zps931bbd2d.jpg
s just go in the trays.
125s-4589_zps57ccc2a9.jpg

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I also have some pipes that just won't fit in standard racks. For them, I bought two large pipe ashtrays - one Peterson & one Comoys - and keep them in there where they're handy and also on display. One of the ashtrays in on my desk, the other next to my chair in the living room.
See https://www.google.com/search?q=pipe+ashtray&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=opera&hs=oiV&tbo=u&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tmkRUfXSOqXNiwLcnoGwBA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1020&bih=536
for some ideas. They're available from most of this forum's sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.