Pipe Storage Dillema

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Pipe Novelist
  • Latest reply from 4dotsasieni
  1. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anybody have pipes that just dont seem to fit into any rack that you have? I tried putting my nicer new Savinelli into a pipe rack today and it just doesnt want to seem to fit into any one of them. Its too big for my antique stands and when I tried to put it into the newer stand, I had to lean it pretty far to fit into the little indent in the bottom, and when I did this the stem flipped over and the pipe took a dive toward the floor!

I caught it before it hit the ground, thank goodness, but I really dont want to have this happen again. Anyone have this dillema too? If so, how do you store pipes that you really like but dont have room in the rack for?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Time for another pipe rack, measured to ensure it fits bigger pipes!

I know I have some pipe racks in storage somewhere, but like more than half of my pipe collection and some pipe tobacco in tins and jars, I have no idea what boxes they're in or where they are stored.

I use a pistol gun case, under $20; holds 20 or so pipes, closes and protects the pipes securely, toss in some tobacco, the pipe tool and accessories, close the case and I'm off (it is even drilled for a padlock, if I choose to use one). This case is so rugged, I think I could drop kick it down a couple flights of stairs without damaging anything inside it (not that I'd try it!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a single, 6 hole pipe rack that I didn't give away a few years ago when I gave up the pipe last time because it was in a box in the attic. I have 42 pipes. Yeah, I've got a few that won't fit into my rack.

Those open-faced racks that hang on a wall will hold nearly any pipe, if the bottom is set out far enough from the top, even an Oom Paul shape, which defies logic and reason and has no real place in the pipe world

Anyway, those that don't fit into my "rack", are strewn about my desk, in my desk drawers, coffee and end tables, and even one on my nightstand, though I've never smoked in bed in my life, not even cigarettes. Not very helpful, I know

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doy! I just remembered that I do have a pipe travel case somewhere that I never use. I suppose that could always work. Thanks for inspiring me to get up off my lazy ass and remember where I put all my pipe stuff rothnh! I really probably never would have thought of it if you hadnt mentioned it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Two of my meers won't fit, but they have cases so I keep them in that. I have one that barely fits, but it's good enough. And obviously my calabashes wont fit. I'm thinking about seeing if Storient will make me custom cases for both of my calabashes.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do have a few pipes that will not fit into my Savinelli 36 count rack. I bought a rack from smokingpipes to fit my larger ones. This is the one I bought and it was like 20 bucks. You need an open top rack for the big boys.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=50938

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My bent pipe won't fit my rack so I took a hacky-sack and use that

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Clips that grab the shank and stem -- as used on peg board store displays. I searched but can't find them.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here you go, Cortez -- a plethora of choices (well, a few): http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dqp7

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Here's an example of how Iwan Ries displays their estate pipes.

Everything I saw at Grainger was made of metal, but I think some heat shrink tubing would do the trick in protecting the pipes.
    Two of these babies would hold the pipe at a nice angle. Like Brian Levine, I like to see pipes in profile.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might try one of these racks for jumbo pipes. They fit regular and large pipes:

http://www.tonyspiperacks.com/Xlargepipes.html

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just visited a pipe friend this evening and noticed he has three large "Tony's" racks, they are very nice and hold all sizes of pipes.
    For my collection, I have some standard Ebay/Etsy racks that have the hole drilled for the top of the stem. I just use a jigsaw to cut the hole into a "u" shape. Now they fit all of my pipes, including a XL David Jones Poker.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I store my pipe stem down in a shelf that I drilled holes in to accommodate pipe stems, can't fall out and really inexpensive.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

That is such a practical idea, 05venturer. There's no need to store the pipes with the bowl down
    if you use a pipe cleaner after every smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Early pic of my pipe rack

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I make black box-trays to go under and in front of my pipe racks, to keep pipes from falling on the floor. Those that don't fit in the racks just go in the trays.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Everything I saw at Grainger was made of metal, but I think some heat shrink tubing would do the trick in protecting the pipes.
    Two of these babies would hold the pipe at a nice angle. Like Brian Levine, I like to see pipes in profile.

Ya, I've seen some clips made of plastic and they're a bit cheaper, but I'd worry about them cracking or breaking easily. I think you're better off with metal ones with heat shrink on the clips.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also have some pipes that just won't fit in standard racks. For them, I bought two large pipe ashtrays - one Peterson & one Comoys - and keep them in there where they're handy and also on display. One of the ashtrays in on my desk, the other next to my chair in the living room.

See https://www.google.com/search?q=pipe+ashtray&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=opera&hs=oiV&tbo=u&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tmkRUfXSOqXNiwLcnoGwBA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1020&bih=536

for some ideas. They're available from most of this forum's sponsors.

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   zenforest, dread, danielplainview, rsuninv, petes03, fnord, mephistopheles, tarheel1, trailboss, andypandy, bigc, briarfriar