PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Not to be confused with kidney stones, has anyone ever used the denicool Filterkristalle (pipe stones)? I read about them somewhere, and it seems that you place a small amount in the bottom of your pipe and then pack it with your tobacco. The theory is that there will be enough air at the bottom of the pipe so that it smokes cooler, down to ash with fewer relights. At the end of the smoke, they get tapped out along with any dottle.
I found them on ebay and ordered them from a nice Israely couple. They haven't arrived yet, so if anyone has used them and has any words of wisedom, I'd appreciate it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I asked the same thing just recently and got no reply.
A member here was selling a pipe that is designed to use them ... Nording Keystones they're called.
The concept is interesting to me because I never use a filter and these sound less intrusive.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
No I have never used them.

velx5y.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I tried them or something identical back in the early 70s. Came in a little flat metal tin, looked like rocksalt. Didn't do squat as I recall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like a lot of trouble without much benefit, but if someone on Forums tries them for some weeks

and finds them beneficial, I'd like to hear about it. I'm not saying that I'd order some, but I'd be interested

to hear the pitch. Since I have only rare gurgling problems, it doesn't sound like an answer to a prayer to me.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Wait..wait...wait. Couldn't the same thing be done with random gravel found in any yard across the country? Are these "Blessed Stones of Smoking?" Or, are they just a handful of rocks with some advertising tacked on? Did we not learn our lesson with the pet rock?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't see the point, if you're packing correctly you won't have any problems. Unless you're that cheap that you fret about a few bits of unsmoked dottle left at the bottom that tastes like acrid crap, but then you probably have ocd and should just go see a doctor.
Denicool Filter Crystals are made of "processed" silica (sand). No thanks, that's like taking the silica that they put in electronics and stuff to aborb moisture. No I wouldn't smoke that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8sNZvLRYk
You can just buy a bag of crystal kitty litter which is the same thing and have probably close to a lifetime supply for 20$

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Erik Nording puts a few of the pink ones in every bowl he smokes. I don't use them, so I can't speak from experience, but I could see their value in a pipe with a steep conical bowl--first in creating an air space, and second because they purportedly absorb some moisture.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I use Eric's Stones(don't know why Erik named his stones Eric) with two of my pipes, a Nording Freehand and a Peterson Shannon. Two pipes that smoke wet and they help eliminate most of the gargling. They absorb the moisture and then after the smoke you can let them dry. After about 5-6 bowls they will turn black at which point you can throw them away. I order them from the Danish Pipe Shoppe.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I bought some when I first started. Still have the bag. Used 2.
Wasn't for me.... interesting concept though

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Just put some pop-rocks in the bottom of your bowl, it will create more air flow and provide entertainment for those around you.

8O

Status
Not open for further replies.