Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmike

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
I know this is a stupid question, but I have recently acquired a bamboo shanked pipe. The stem is very hard to remove and put back on the pipe. How should I connect the stem without damaging the stem or the pipe. Sorry that I smell of newbie.
Thanks,

Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
magic, I don't have the answer, but likely someone on Forums does. It sounds like you need to sand down the stem

where it joins the shank, just enough to make a looser fit. Be sure to do this very evenly, with fine grain sandpaper.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A pic of the tenon and the end of the shank would help. Bamboos are often made with stainless steel tenon and sometimes the tenon is in the shank. How is yours made?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Mike:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm wondering if a photo might help. I'm thinking there may be specific kinds of bamboo-shank pipes that folks would be familiar with if they could see it.
Bob

magicmike

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the information so far. I am out of town. When I get back I will take some pics and post them. Thanks again for all of the help.
Mike

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Almost all the bamboo shank pipes use a stainless steel tenon. Most have the tenon as part of the stem. A very small percentage have the tenon as part of the shank. In either case, you're not going to reduce the diameter of the stainless. Take a drill bit- maybe 1/8"- use the end that normally fits in the chuck, not the cutting end. Wrap a few turns of 320 grit sandpaper until it's a somewhat snug fit and twist back and forth to sand the mortise. Go slow, check the fit as you go. .002" larger and you should be fine. If you screw it up and it's too loose, I have a couple of ways to fix that too....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.