PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Being new at this hobby (less than 3 months) I don't have a lot of pipes but have picked up several that I particularly like and want to take good care of including:
Radice - Estate (love this pipe... great looker and great smoker)

Hilson - Estate (another good smoker)

Savinelli - New full bent (hoping I'll like it more after it gets broken in good)

Bjorne Viking Classic - New (smoked pretty good straight from the box)

Stanwell Alu Band - New (pretty good smoke but needs breaking in)

Bari - Estate (not bad... not bad)

No name Meershaum - Estate (pretty good smoker... I'll probably invest in a much nicer one soon)

2 MM Cobs - New (what can I say, they do what they're supposed to do. I have a Forever Stem on order as I've about chewed through the stems that came on the pipes)
Here is my question:
Is it essential to store all upright (bowl down / stem up)? The one pipe rack I bought, which is pretty cool looking, isn't very functional as I have to take stems off to insert in openings and then put bowls back onto stems. Also, several bents do not fit in the rack at all and the stem on the Radice and Bari are too wide for the rack.
So, what type of rack is best?

Where can I locate relatively inexpensive racks?
It seems that all the racks I find via online stores and/or ebay are quite expensive.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
apatim:
"Is it essential to store all upright (bowl down / stem up)?"
Essential? No. But I do think it's preferable. Bowl-down allows moisture to drain into the bowl and evaporate. Stem-down, it will drain into the stem, creating bitterness when you put the pipe to your lips. But if you run a pipe cleaner through before a smoke, that should likely take care of any problems.
Given your pipes, you may be best off with a pipe rack/stand that has an open slot on the top for the stem, rather than a closed circle that you're meant to slide the stem into. There was another thread here recently, where a member mentioned the ideal spacing for today's pipes, which are apparently a bit larger than older racks were meant to hold. (Awful sentence, but hopefully you get my meaning!)
Pipe "furniture" does tend to be expensive. eBay, flea markets, antique stores often have stands that are relatively inexpensive. And a lot of folks who are gifted at woodwork just make their own. That's beyond my skills/interest, but I've been pretty lucky in finding racks/stands in antique malls.
Bob

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I found a nice model at www.smokingpipes.com that holds six pipes for $25. I think it's currently out of stock, but you can mark it on your account to notify you with an email when it's available again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nearly all of my pipes can be threaded into the pipe racks. A few of the bent stems require a little more

patience to make them slide up there, but in no case do I have to take the pipes apart. I have a wall-hung

cabinet, a table-top 12-pipe rack, and an inherited (grandfather/dad) round rack for ten pipes. So you

must have some elegant and unique pipes there. I think most racks with open-fronted grooves instead

of holes for the stems should accept most pipes. For really exotic shapes, you may have to use small

ceramic bowls or low cups. There's no law about it, but I think stems-up is the way to store pipes, for

reasons stated in the earlier post(s).

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I store my pipes with the bowl at the bottom for the same reasons mentioned above. And like you I have similar issues when looking for a pipe rack. Any I find are expensive and if they are not expensive then more often than not they are fugly.
I decided that I will make my own but what has been preventing me from doing that is I live in a flat and don't have anywhere to actually do said work. A friend of mine has just got himself a workshop as he is a carpenter. This, thankfully solves the problem for me. I may even have a go at making a pipe.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Well, I worked with them a bit more and found that most will fit although due to the curved shaped of the stand the slots at either end are a bit short. Regardless of how I turned them, the Radice and the Meershaum just don't fit. Here are images (if too large, let me know and I'll work on resizing. This is my first attempt at using photobucket.)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
For pipe racks you might check the local thrift shop or antique store. There seems to be a lot of them around and very little demand so they tend to be cheap. I got a twelve pipe rack for eight bucks that way.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I have been checking antique stores, etc. So far no luck but am on a notification list for estate sales as well so perhaps something will come up in the near future. We (wife and I) like things that are a bit unusual although I could put one of the more traditional wall racks in my office and just use the above rack for the Great Room display. This is a new hobby for me so it is taking some time to learn the ins and outs. You guys are GREAT... thanks much for all the help!

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I store my pipes, long term with bowl down, but after smoking, mine get swabbed out with pipe cleaner, then a new cleaner inserted in pipe and stored upside down. Am I wrong? Anyone else do this. After it's there a day or so, it will go into the rack, sometimes leaving the pipe cleaner in it, sometimes removing. I save a reuse the pipe cleaner for cleaning the pipe after smoking, not wasting a good pipe cleaner. Anyone else, or am I just wasting time and cleaners?

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Ooh that's a lovely stand, I'm jealous. I do have a pipe stand myself, though I call it a table. I never bother storing mine at any particular orientation, though mine are all clean and in immediatly smokable condition when they're replaced.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Apatim
That is a very unusual pipe stand and I can see why its giving you difficulty in replacing the pipes. It really is a show piece.
I ordered a pipe from the Ukraine on Ebay about a year ago that hold 18 pipes that is quite attractive. It has four stands graduating up to the top.
Unfortunately, I don't have the original address, but if you check frequently something will come up.
I'm guessing at pipe shows there must be makers of pipe stands showing their wares.
Good luck.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
How about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-HAND-MADE-2-TIER-WOODEN-PIPE-RACK-HOLDS-12-PIPES-/321359974266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad28c0f7a
And no, I am not the seller, nor do I have any connection to him/her.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Ooh that's a lovely stand, I'm jealous. I do have a pipe stand myself, though I call it a table. I never bother storing mine at any particular orientation, though mine are all clean and in immediatly smokable condition when they're replaced.
Here's one that appears to be similar, though missing its lid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hand-Carved-Pipe-Holder-Rack-Stand-RARE-Beautiful-/301117744222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c04245e

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Looks like the same one. I paid less than $50 though and the one I got is in mint condition.
Yours looks much better. I scan listings for pipe racks/stands irregularly. Had never seen anything like yours. It prompted me to look in on what's up now, and I caught the one I posted just as I was about to bail.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I always check "antique" malls and flea markets for pipes and pipe racks. I've had quite a bit of luck as most vendors don't know what they have, or else don't see many people interested in pipes. I actually picked this one up at an antique mall in Wildwood, FL today for 4 bucks. 6 pipe slots and a center humidor compartment.

Brought it home, dusted it off, used some wood polish on it, and put it in my cabinet with my other pipe stuff. Don't trust the seal on the humidor so I am just using it to hold filters, cleaners, and matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.