PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
Here is my full collection of pipe rests all on one table.

It contains the line of Comoy's pipe rests with the foil logo stamp on the bottom, some syroco wood pipe rests featuring the chairs, any dog pipe rest from the '20s - '30s, and black metal animals with gold accents.

If anyone can help date the black animal, gold accent pipe rests that would be helpful. One has a stamp that they were made in Japan. My guess is that they are from the '20s because they hold smaller pipes and pipes were smaller back then. Also wouldn't higher quality materials come from Japan at that time?

I have not been able to find any definitive dating to the Comoy's pipe stands. If anyone has clues to that, I would be interested as well. Note that these exact shapes of pipe stands were also made sometime in the '90s and some of the shapes are still made today. But none of those are by Comoy or contain their stamp. It seems that Comoy sold the molds for these stands. I only want to collect what appears to be the original Comoy's stands with the logo.

I hope you find this interesting, can post any info, and maybe showcase your own.

img_20130311_221403_702-600x337.jpg

img_20130311_214912_922-600x337.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A great collection! Dating them might be a challenge, I'll stay tuned to see if you get any tips. I collect "scottie dog" themed stands, most of these are in Syroco.
Do you have the Comoys "Eagle" stand? That one was always appealing to me, but not often seen.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That chair always makes me laugh!
I like a few stands to display my more important (as identified by me!) pipes. We have a West Highland terrier (had two, past 20 years) so we're always on the lookout for westie/scottie themed items. I was surprised to learn that motif is a popular pipe theme.

That was a little cluttered and too accesible by our new cat, so I moved some of them to a wall-mount corner shelf.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Backyard:
You wrote:
"Then I wouldn't have a pipe rest collection, would I?"
I'm LMAO.
Splendid collection, friend.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Backyard sent me this link to a Scottie pipe holder, a style which I hadn't seem previously. I balked at the $50 BIN price, but when I came home from work, I had second thoughts but found it had already been snapped up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pipe-holder-rest-stand-CIRCA-1933-Scottish-Terrier-Dog-Crescent-Art-Metal-/151014733058?nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$T2eC16FHJG!E9nm3pwYIBRR+GtrkmQ~~60_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.