PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Hi guys. Again, asking for help from those wiser and more experienced than me! I just completed sanding a pipe and re-finishing with fiebings leather dye. I then bought caranuba wax flakes which I melted and tried to apply to the pipe. Try not to laugh! Anyway that was a disaster. So, I tried smoking the pipe as is and ended up with the dye coming off on my hand as I'm smoking. So, I'm wondering does anyone know where I can get a suitable caranuba wax paste, that doesn't have any additives or other gunk that I can use to finish the pipe? As I'm based in Ireland, somewhere in the UK (including amazon) would be best as shipping would be no problem. Thanks for the help.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I'm pretty new to this myself, but Most people who use carnauba get the same thing you bought but in bar form. It has to be applied with some kind of polishing device, e.g. a drill, bench grinder, or Dremel.
I have read that some people like to use Paragon or Halcyon II instead of carnauba. I haven't tried either yet.
You can try Kiwi neutral shoe polish, which I think has carnauba in it. I tried it once, and while it didn't get as shiny as real carnauba, it gave the pipe a softer sheen, satin as opposed to mirror.
You might be able to melt those pellets into some kind of bar that could be used with a polishing tool.
You can also do what a bunch of pipe manufacturers do, which is spray it with lacquer and call it a day. Idk exactly what lacquer to use though.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Paragon and halcyon wax will do the trick. Do not be discouraged, you’ve made through the most difficult steps. The wax part is easy.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Did you buff the wax? A hand drill with a buffing wheel will do the trick if you don’t have a bench mounted buffer. Clamp it down to a bench, or even put the handle under one knee so you can push down the trigger with the bit sticking up between your knees. Get 2 wheels, one to apply and one to buff. I’ve even used Mothers carnuba car wax applied with a paper towel and then buffed to an amazing result. That would probably take 2 applications and buffs.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
I would use mothers car wax. I'm worried though there might be additives in it. Some sort of paste would be easier to apply. Buffing to a shine isn't a priority so much as sealing the dye and keeping it off my hand! Thanks for the advice all

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've used Mother's a bunch of times, it's a paste. I've never had dye come off on my hands. I got that from a discussion on this forum. It's the Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste - link

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My best guess is the problem has more to do with the dye than the wax. Pure carnauba melted down into bricks or chunks is what you want for use on a buffer. Pure carnauba wouldn't pull the finish off.
Did you ask over on http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/? You would be able to get lots of help there.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Did you set the dye with a flame of some sort? As in, running a lighter over the dye first, before applying the wax?

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Re: dye coming off on my hands. I use fiebings as recommended on other posts. I'll try running a flame over it and see does that seal it. Otherwise it'll be mothers 05550 applied and buffed by hand as I dont have any suitable equipment at the moment

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just an aside, but removing the finish and smoking a pipe as "unfinished" frequently darkens it into a light walnut sheen. Sometimes, less is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.