PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I suppose that if one did some reserch there might be what is considered to be proper techniques for smoking a pipe.Some young folks just starting out might consider that all the information they read makes pipe smoking a very complicated endeavor.It really isn't that at all.It's just not that complicated...Get yourself a decent pipe. Learn how to fill it..Know when to tamp..Learn what types of blends you like..Learn how to clean your pipes..These few rules will make you a pipe smoker.After these the next rule is one that I think about all experienced pipe smokers live by..Do whatever works for you even if it's different than what someone else does.In the end it's an individual thing.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
It's like asking if there are rules to art. Yes, technically there are rules of composition, perspective, yada yada. Doesn't stop my kids from having fun with crayons.
Tips help the beginner steer clear of the problems. The rest is just practice. Good thing the practice is so damn enjoyable, right? :)
Simon

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I read and digest everything you old farts say 8O And then I forget it and do my own thang lol
I think the majority of the "young folks" don't follow too many rules. Nothing like trying and then failing miserably to beat some knowledge into your noggin. And we know you went through failures and learned from them, but we think we're smarter and will make our own mistakes thank you. (This is why history constantly repeats itself) :puffy:

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
When I bought my first pipe it was at a tobacco store in a mall. A very nice looking middle aged woman steered me in the right direction. She showed me her way of packing and lighting. I still use those same technics today, no secrets to it just had never done that before.
Asking questions is key in sharing solutions and problems in a great community like this one.

Jeff

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I would hate to call them rules. I would say that they are more like guidelines. Rules make it sound make it sound like you have to conform and we are pipe smokers, born non-conformists!
I do wish I had some guidance 20 years ago when I first tried a pipe and failed miserably. I guess that's why I didn't try again until recently. I appreciate the scholars of the board with their insight.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
This board gave me a huge leap forward in learning how to smoke my pipe. I guess if there's a rule, it's Don't be afraid to learn something new.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I also like to call the guidelines rather than rules, but they are good guidelines. The only rule I have is enjoy your smoke.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The best advice I ever got was from my dad when I started smoking a pipe back in 1959. He was an experienced pipe smoker, and he and his friends showed me the ins and outs, which still work for me today. And since this sort of thing seems to have more impact if its given a fancy name, I present:
The Vernon Cool & Dry Method
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack it looser than you think you need to.

Smoke it slower than you think you need to.

Tamp it less , and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
My Grandfather has been deceased 20 yrs now, but his method was:
buy a new pipe

shove it in pouch

jam it full of baccy

light,puff,light,puff,light,puff, and so on till bowl was empty

bang pipe on boot or nearest hard object

shove pipe in pocket, any one will do but usually hip pocket

when time for another smoke: repeat process

when pipe was no longer satisfactory, buy new one
He had no thoughts of cleaning or of any maintenance what-so-ever, but he did enjoy his smokes

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
If you must have rules then these are the ones to remember!
Rule #1- Never light the Pipe backwards(if you are that drunk you may want to consider AA)

Rule #2- Good idea to have a drink on hand, prefurably one that complements the smoke(not the other way around)

Rule #3- If you are unable to smoke in the house due to a respective other, go to the man cave. If no man cave, go outside. If the respective other still gives you greef (remember 9mm rounds are cheaper than a divorce)give em a good stiff one so they are satisfied and then go outside and smoke.

Rule #4- Respect the pipe, its your tool.

Rule #5- There is always time to smoke.(screw the respective other)

Status
Not open for further replies.