PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bed post overnight?
Yesterday, I could't spell truckdriver. Now I was one.
see what pipe smoking has done for my smarts?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
My wife will swear that I have better patience and problem solving since I started smoking a pipe.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Well Cortez, this Lutheran/Methodist would never call you a moron. I think you are quite a clever fellow. How is it up there?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some useful links:
http://www.forces.org/evidence/files/liars.htm
http://www.gwern.net/Nicotine

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How did this get exhumed after five years? Anyway ... there might be a tidbit of truth here. I doubt pipe smoking is the cause of "being smarter." Since it was long associated with academics, it may have attracted people who had the aura of intelligence, whether they were smart or not. Twain and Einstein certainly burnished the image with certifiable brilliance. Smoking a pipe does involve more know-how than other forms of smoking and tobacco use, beyond sucking up nails, puffing cigars, or chewing chaw, so pipes may select a higher level of learning aptitude, dexterity, and self-governance that denotes intelligence. Being a pipe smoker, of course, I believe that pipe smokers are a higher level of being, except when I get the belt loops of my coat caught in the storm door; then all bets are off.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I doubt pipe smoking is the cause of "being smarter."
Mainly because nothing is; IQ cannot be increased (but can be made more effective with discipline and in some cases, learning). I agree that this study probably gets it backward. Another way to put it: smarter people are more likely to be drawn toward pipes, and on top of that, there are cognitive benefits to nicotine which make the brain run better.
puff puff

Status
Not open for further replies.